Brandon Sun Comments
The Brandon Sun allows readers to comment on most news articles, columns and blogs. This feature gives readers the chance to respond to our writers and reporters and to people who have commented on a topic.
Join the discussion of what is happening in our community, across the country and around the world. Challenge the views of our writers and others.
How do I comment?
On any article, look for a link like this: Comments (0)
The number in the brackets is the number of comments so far. Click on that link to see the discussion. If the bracketed number is 0, then you can grab the top spot!
After logging in, a Comment Form will appear at the bottom of every story. Just write your comment, then click "Submit Comment." You’ll be given the opportunity to review what you’ve written, then hit "Submit" to send it.
You should get a message indicating that your comment has been successfully submitted – that means it’s ready for our moderators to review. Note that our comment form has a 2,000–character limit.
When can I comment?
At any time, but comments are reviewed before they are posted. Depending on the time of day, it could take between a few minutes and a few hours for your comment to be reviewed by our moderators and posted to the site.
What are the ‘rules’ for commenting?
- Above all, follow our Terms and Conditions below.
- Don’t use ALL CAPS. It’s considered shouting.
- Keep your language civil. Remember that the comment you post could be seen by everyone who visits the page, including people involved in the story.
- Do not post advertising for goods, services, products etc. to our comment areas.
- Do not post comments or links to sites that contain graphic, obscene or otherwise inappropriate subject matter. See our Terms and Conditions for an outline of what we consider inappropriate.
- Remember that comments may be deleted at Brandon Sun’ discretion, and that breaching our terms could result in immediate and permanent suspension from future participation.
My comment didn’t appear. What happened?
It’s possible our moderators have not yet reviewed your comment, or our moderators determined it does not meet our terms and conditions. Please review the detailed terms and conditions and try expressing your opinion again.
The Brandon Sun can turn off the ability to comment on stories and articles at our discretion. Comments are often turned off on stories involving children, stories about active court cases, and in situations where a large number of offensive comments has been received.
How do I report an abusive or inappropriate comment?
Click on "Report abusive comment" next to any comment to send our moderators an email informing them of problem comments.
The Brandon Sun does not respond to emails about reported comments, but our moderators will review the comment a second time to ensure it abides by our terms and conditions. Comments found to be in violation will be removed.
We encourage all readers to share their opinions and challenge the views of our writers and others by commenting on our stories. If you disagree with a comment, please consider posting your own comment to share your perspective.
The following terms and conditions apply to commenting everywhere on our site. By participating you are agreeing to abide by them. A breach of these terms could result in immediate and permanent suspension from future participation.
You agree that you will not use threatening or abusive language, or anything that discriminates on the basis on race, religion, age, nationality, gender, sexual preference, etc. While expressing opinions, do not enter into personal attacks or publish any material that constitutes hate speech. Baseless, unproven accusations will not be tolerated.
- Avoid inappropriate material. You agree that you will not post any libellous, defamatory, unlawful, obscene, abusive, pornographic or otherwise inappropriate material. You will not post anything encouraging conduct that could constitute a criminal offense or give rise to a civil liability, or that provides instructional information about illegal activities. If you do, you indemnify Brandon Sun and its affiliates for any resulting damages, including the costs of legal fees.
- Use for non–commercial purposes. The information on this site may not be used for any commercial purposes without the written consent of the Brandon Sun. You may not use the site to solicit funds or promote commercial activities, nor to post or transmit junk mail, chain letters, unsolicited mass mailing or spam, nor to promote any contest, sweepstakes, barter, advertising, and/or pyramid scheme.
- Use of website: You agree that you will not restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the website, interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper workings of the site or do anything that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on website infrastructure. You agree that you will not solicit passwords or personal identifying information from other users, nor will you post any submission that contains a virus or other harmful component.
- Do not violate others’ rights. You agree not to knowingly post content that violates or infringes on the rights of others, including copyright, trademark, trade secret, patent or other intellectual property right of any third party and including the privacy right of any individual.
- Brandon Sun is not responsible for the content of any comment. You acknowledge that comments represent the views and opinions of the person posting the comment and do not represent the views or opinions of the Brandon Sun. The Brandon Sun reserves the right to monitor all comments and delete, move or edit any comment at any time.
- Protect Your Password. You are responsible to protect the confidentiality of your Brandon Sun password and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your password. You agree to immediately notify Brandon Sun of any unauthorized use of your password or any other breach of security. WFP cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this section.
- Brandon Sun rights. By submitting a comment, you grant Brandon Sun a royalty–free, irrevocable, perpetual, exclusive license (which it may sublicense) to use, publish, reproduce, modify, translate such content and distribute it in whole or in part with other works in any form, media or technology. You further agree that any posted message or submission may be published, edited, modified, transmitted and displayed in a Brandon Sun website or publication, and you waive all moral rights in having the material changed or altered.