Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/6/2010 (2554 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
It's a day that's chock-full of celebrations for Canada. The city of Brandon has released its official schedule of events for the July 1 holiday, which gets underway at 1 p.m. and runs until the fireworks shut down at night.
All celebrations take place at the Riverbank Discovery Centre.
On the main stage:
- 1:00 p.m. Official Opening
- 1:30 - 1:45 p.m. Scottish Highland Dancers
- 1:45 - 2:00 p.m. Kung Fu Sword Demonstration
- 2:00 - 2:45 p.m. Hoop Dancer - Brian Clyne
- 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. Music with Tom Dowden
- 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. Larry and Friends (Classic Rock, Country)
- 8:00 - 10:30 p.m. Janksta! (Dance Club Reggae)
- 10:30 (dusk) Fireworks (best view - Dinsdale Park and Riverbank Discovery Centre)
In the "Magic Tent"
- 1:30 - 2:00 p.m. Karlheinz The Bubbleman
- 3:30 - 4:15 p.m. Small Rooms (Children's Music)
At the Eleanor Kidd gardens
- 2:00 - 3:30 p.m. Scotty McIntosh Big Band Concert
Other attractions throughout the day
- 11:30 a.m. Brandon Riverbank Fundraising Barbecue
- 1:30-4:30 p.m. Hay rides and Pumpkin Patch train rides
- 2:00 - 3:30 p.m. Interpretive pond tours (meet in the Discovery Centre)
- 2:00 - 3:30 p.m. Leaky Boat Race
- 2:00 - 3:30 p.m. Frozen T-Shirt Contest
- 3:00 p.m. Brandon Riverbank Duck Race ticket sales close
- 4:00 p.m. Brandon Riverbank Duck Race
A number of displays will also be up throughout the day, including presentations by the Commonwealth Air Training Plan, Westman Reptile Gardens, Bouncers and children's activities, origami by Jack Boreski, the Military Family Resource Centre, the Eugene Ross collection of Dakota artifacts, and a Shilo military display.
To help cope with the summer weather -- currently, weather forecasters are predicting a hot July 1 -- city pools will be open starting at noon.
Although the YMCA pool will close at 3:30 p.m., outdoor pools will stay open a little longer. The Stanley Park and Kinsmen spray parks will each stay open until 6 p.m. The Kinsmen spray park is located at Third Street and Aberdeen Avenue. The Kiwanis/YMCA pool at the Keystone and the Kinsmen pool at 405 Park St. will be open until 8 p.m.
Paddling pools and the Sportsplex will be closed on Canada Day. Regular hours resume on July 2.
All scheduling and attractions are subject to change. For more information, call 729-2141.