Six students from Assiniboine Community College will be heading to Toronto next month, where they will pit their skills against competitors from across the country.
The six will join the rest of Team Manitoba at the 20th annual Skills Canada National Competition, from June 4–7.
Competing this year are
- Lucas Tufts, a student in the college's Industrial Metals Fabrication program, is from Elgin and will be competing in the Precision Machining competition.
- Brett McKee, a student in the Civil Technician program, is from Brandon and will be competing in the Mechanical CAD competition.
- Jordan Neufeld, a student in our Computer Systems Technology program, is from Niverville and will be competing in the IT Network Systems Administration competition. He was also one of ACC's One to Watch award winners earlier this year. These recipients were selected based on academic performance, leadership, student life involvement and volunteerism.
- Shawnee Holmes, a student in the Interactive Media Arts program, is from Brandon and will be competing in the Web Design competition.
- Melodee Peters, a student in our Office Administration Program, is from Oak River and will be competing in the IT Software Solutions for Business competition.
- Holly Campbell, a student in our Culinary Arts program, is from Isabella and will be competing in the Baking competition. She is also one of ACC's One to Watch award recipients this year.
More than 550 students and apprentices will compete in over 40 skilled trade and technology contests at the national competition this year. It's expected to attract some 15,000 spectators and exhibitors.