Accessibility/Mobile Features
Skip Navigation
Skip to Content
Editorial News
Classified Sites

Brandon Sun - PRINT EDITION

Blight wants review of cut in funding

Murray Blight, city councillor for Victoria Ward

Enlarge Image

Murray Blight, city councillor for Victoria Ward (FILE PHOTO)

City council is being asked to reconsider its decision to slash $50,000 from urban renewal funding in the 2013 budget.

Coun. Murray Blight (Victoria) gave notice at the end of Monday night’s meeting that he will bring forward a motion on Feb. 4 to reconsider the reduction in funding for Renaissance Brandon.

"When looking at this and seeing that we have an opportunity to have funding from the province … I think it’s straight-forward, a no-brainer that we should pursue in getting the funds that are available to us, in helping towards the downtown development," Blight said.

Since 2008, the city has provided $250,000 annually to Renaissance Brandon, the city’s downtown development corporation. Council recently voted to reduce the funding to $200,000 in the 2013 budget.

The full loss will be $100,000, as the province matches the dollars the city provides.

The decision was met with criticism last week from Renaissance Brandon board chair Shaun Cameron, who said the reduction in funding was a "major blow" to the organization.

"It’s going to have a direct effect on whether some of the projects or some of the hopes for the downtown will move forward," Cameron said in a previous interview with the Sun. "There definitely will be an effect that all the residents of Brandon will feel from it."

Coun. Corey Roberts (Rosser) also criticized the decision, saying it would have a "huge impact" on downtown projects and programs.

"With all the momentum that Renaissance Brandon has had in the past few years … it was short-sightedness that they went ahead and did this change to the budget," Roberts stated last week.

Blight said he will be discussing the issue with the city’s economic development director and will bring a report to council at the Feb. 4 meeting.

"At that time I’ll be able to provide the explanation of why I want to see it be brought back to the table for consideration," Blight said.

» jaustin@brandonsun.com

Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition January 22, 2013

  • Rate this Rate This Star Icon
  • This article is currently rated an average of 5 out of 5 (2 votes).
  • We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high. If you thought it was well written, do the same. If it doesn’t meet your standards, mark it accordingly.

    You can also register and/or login to the site and join the conversation by leaving a comment.

    Rate it yourself by rolling over the stars and clicking when you reach your desired rating. We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high.

Sort by: Newest to Oldest | Oldest to Newest | Most Popular 0 Commentscomment icon

You can comment on most stories on brandonsun.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is register and/or login and you can join the conversation and give your feedback.

There are no comments at the moment. Be the first to post a comment below.

Post Your Commentcomment icon

Comment
  • You have characters left

The Brandon Sun does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. Comments are moderated before publication. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

City council is being asked to reconsider its decision to slash $50,000 from urban renewal funding in the 2013 budget.

Coun. Murray Blight (Victoria) gave notice at the end of Monday night’s meeting that he will bring forward a motion on Feb. 4 to reconsider the reduction in funding for Renaissance Brandon.

Please subscribe to view full article.

Already subscribed? Login to view full article.

Not yet a subscriber? Click here to sign up

City council is being asked to reconsider its decision to slash $50,000 from urban renewal funding in the 2013 budget.

Coun. Murray Blight (Victoria) gave notice at the end of Monday night’s meeting that he will bring forward a motion on Feb. 4 to reconsider the reduction in funding for Renaissance Brandon.

Subscription required to view full article.

A subscription to the Brandon Sun Newspaper is required to view this article. Please update your user information if you are already a newspaper subscriber.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Brandon Sun Business Directory
The First World War at 100

Social Media