Accessibility/Mobile Features
Skip Navigation
Editorial News
Classified Sites

Brandon Sun - ONLINE EDITION

Surgery done on Gimli fire victim

18-year-old critical; has extensive burns

Jordan Welch

Enlarge Image

Jordan Welch

Greg Welch

Enlarge Image

Greg Welch

A Gimli family who barely fled a house fire with their lives is focused on an 18-year-old man who went inside the burning home to search for his sister.

Widower Greg Welch, 41, and his son, Jordan, 18, are recovering at Health Sciences Centre after they were injured in a New Year's Day fire at their Gimli home.

Greg Welch's brother-in-law, Ian Tarnowski, said Jordan underwent emergency surgery Thursday.

The teen has burns to 65 per cent of his body and has been in a medically induced coma since New Year's Day, Tarnowski said.

He was in critical but stable condition Thursday.

Jordan had gone into the burning home to rescue his 12-year-old sister, Jayda, after thinking she was trapped inside, even though she'd escaped with her father out a back window.

"Our main focus is Jordan right now. It's just him," said Tarnowski.

The children lost their mother to cancer three years ago and a month later, their grandfather died of a heart attack.

Greg Welch suffered a broken neck in the fire, said Tarnowski, but the injury didn't sever his spinal cord and he has full mobility.

He was in stable condition Thursday, said Tarnowski.

Jayda Welch was scratched and bruised in the fire.

She was at home with family and marked her 12th birthday Wednesday.

"I believe she's still in a little bit of shock from what's happened," said Tarnowski.

He said the family has received donations of furniture and clothing.

"It's been unbelievable," he said.

Two trust funds have been set up for the family at the Gimli Credit Union, as well as at CIBCs across Canada.

"They've lost everything," said Tarnowski. "They have nothing.

"They didn't even have the keys for their vehicles."

It's unclear if the family is insured, said Tarnowski.

"I haven't been able to talk to Greg because he had an air tube down his throat."

A fundraising concert has been scheduled for Fraserwood Hall from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Jan. 13.

 

gabrielle.giroday@freepress.mb.ca

  • Rate this Rate This Star Icon
  • This article has not yet been rated.
  • We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high. If you thought it was well written, do the same. If it doesn’t meet your standards, mark it accordingly.

    You can also register and/or login to the site and join the conversation by leaving a comment.

    Rate it yourself by rolling over the stars and clicking when you reach your desired rating. We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high.

Sort by: Newest to Oldest | Oldest to Newest | Most Popular 0 Commentscomment icon

You can comment on most stories on brandonsun.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is register and/or login and you can join the conversation and give your feedback.

There are no comments at the moment. Be the first to post a comment below.

Post Your Commentcomment icon

Comment
  • You have characters left

The Brandon Sun does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. Comments are moderated before publication. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Brandon Sun Business Directory
Sudden Surge: Flood of 2014
Opportunity Magazine — The Bakken
Why Not Minot?
Welcome to Winnipeg

Social Media