Accessibility/Mobile Features
Skip Navigation
Skip to Content
Editorial News
Business
Classified Sites

The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Donald Trump sues to get Atlantic City company to drop his name from 2 casinos

This July 23, 2014 photo shows the Trump Taj Mahal Casino Resort in Atlantic City N.J. On Tuesday Aug. 5, 2014, Donald Trump sued Trump Entertainment Resorts, seeking to force the company to remove his name from its two Atlantic City casinos, Trump Plaza and the Trump Taj Mahal, alleging the company had allowed the casinos to fall into disrepair and tarnish the real estate mogul's personal brand. (AP Photo/Wayne Parry)

Enlarge Image

This July 23, 2014 photo shows the Trump Taj Mahal Casino Resort in Atlantic City N.J. On Tuesday Aug. 5, 2014, Donald Trump sued Trump Entertainment Resorts, seeking to force the company to remove his name from its two Atlantic City casinos, Trump Plaza and the Trump Taj Mahal, alleging the company had allowed the casinos to fall into disrepair and tarnish the real estate mogul's personal brand. (AP Photo/Wayne Parry)

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - Donald Trump has a message for the two Atlantic City casinos that still bear his name, five years after he gave up anything to do with running them: You're fired.

The real estate mogul and reality TV star, who presided over a casino empire in the glory days of Atlantic City, filed a lawsuit on Tuesday demanding that his name be stripped from the remaining two.

He told The Associated Press he sued Trump Entertainment Resorts, a descendant of a corporate entity he once controlled, because it has allowed its two Atlantic City casinos, the Trump Plaza and the Trump Taj Mahal, to fall into disrepair, tarnishing his personal brand and confusing customers.

"I want it off both of them," Trump said in an interview Tuesday evening. "I've been away from Atlantic City for many years. People think we operate (the company), and we don't. It's not us. It's not me."

It was the latest manifestation of Atlantic City's struggles: One casino closed in January, two others are slated to do so by next month and another is up for a bankruptcy auction on Thursday and will shut down if a buyer doesn't materialize.

Trump's lawsuit, filed in state Superior Court in Atlantic County, seeks a court order directing Trump Entertainment Resorts to immediately cure what it terms a breach of Trump's licensing agreement with the company or remove his name from the casinos and the company itself.

"Since Mr. Trump left Atlantic City many years ago, the license entities have allowed the casino properties to fall into an utter state of disrepair and have otherwise failed to operate and manage the casino properties in accordance with the high standards of quality and luxury required under the license agreement," Trump wrote in his lawsuit, filed in the name of Trump AC Casino Marks LLC. "The Trump name ... has become synonymous with the highest levels of quality, luxury, prestige and success."

Trump Entertainment Resorts CEO Robert Griffin declined to comment on the lawsuit.

Trump appears particularly vexed at the impending closing of Trump Plaza on Sept. 16.

In the lawsuit, he asserts Trump Plaza failed two quality review tests carried out by a third-party consulting firm, one in 2012 and the other three weeks ago. Days later, Trump asserts, the company sent letters to its employees and announced it would close Trump Plaza in September without notifying him.

"Not only does the issuance of these WARN notices further harm the Trump name and brand, but it also underscores the (company's) inability to remedy the appalling conditions that gave rise to the defaults under the licensing agreement in the first place," the lawsuit says.

Trump said the casinos fail to meet industry standards regarding hotel services, food and beverage operations and overall cleanliness, which he said guests had been complaining about for years.

Trump does not run or control Trump Entertainment Resorts, which was formed after the Trump casino empire emerged from the second of its three bankruptcies. But he retains a 10 per cent stake, which enables the company to use his name for licensing purposes.

Trump told the AP he has not considered whether to divest his remaining ownership stake in the company.

___

Wayne Parry can be reached at http://twitter.com/WayneParryAC

  • Rate this Rate This Star Icon
  • This article has not yet been rated.
  • We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high. If you thought it was well written, do the same. If it doesn’t meet your standards, mark it accordingly.

    You can also register and/or login to the site and join the conversation by leaving a comment.

    Rate it yourself by rolling over the stars and clicking when you reach your desired rating. We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high.

Sort by: Newest to Oldest | Oldest to Newest | Most Popular 0 Commentscomment icon

You can comment on most stories on brandonsun.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is register and/or login and you can join the conversation and give your feedback.

There are no comments at the moment. Be the first to post a comment below.

Post Your Commentcomment icon

Comment
  • You have characters left

The Brandon Sun does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. Comments are moderated before publication. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Election 2014
Brandon Sun Business Directory
The First World War at 100
Why Not Minot?
Welcome to Winnipeg

Social Media

Canadian Mortgage Rates