Brandon’s The Perms, now based in Winnipeg, are set for a homecoming CD release party at the Decker this Saturday. The Perms are an alternative-rock trio consisting of (L-R) John Huver on drums and vocals, Chad Smith on guitar and vocals, and Shane Smith, bass and vocals. (SUBMITTED)
To say 2013 was a landmark year for the Perms would be an understatement. In fact out of their nearly 20 year existence, 2013 may have been the best yet. Throughout the past year, the three-piece power pop-rock group enjoyed some key watershed moments including:
• Music placements in numerous American TV shows such as "Young and the Restless" and "Bad Girls Club".
• "KYUWYD" and "Sofia Nights" charting heavily on college radio in Canada and the U.S.
• Music videos for "Give Me All Your Lovin’", "Running Away" and "High School High" have received rotation on Canada’s music station Much Music and can be viewed on the band’s youtube site (www.youtube.com/thepermsband).
• Nominated for Artist of the Year and Album of the Year by XM Satellite radio station The Verge.
• Numerous tours and festival shows across Canada, U.S. and Europe, sharing the stage with acts such as Finger 11 and The Trews.
On The Aberdeen EP, The Perms put their best foot forward. After a busy period of writing new material, the band picked a handful of their best songs and headed into Vambo Sound Productions. The Perms’ goal was simple: to put all their focus into crafting arrangements that would push their instinctive writing skills and seasoned musicianship to a whole new level. The results of their hard work are four high-energy, guitar-driven songs that feature sing-a-long melodies with an aggressive, harder-edged sound.
The Aberdeen EP is The Perms’ sixth studio effort.(now available on iTunes) Their music still revolves around the group’s melody-driven sound. Their commitment and inspiration to creating their own original music has never wavered and their constant dedication to improve on their songwriting and musicianship skills is clearly evident with their new release.
Aberdeen EP track-listing:
1. "It’s Mania"
3. "The Parent Thing"
4. "Walk Away"
Frank McGwire is a radio personality and booster of the music scene in Brandon and Westman.
Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition February 6, 2014