Accessibility/Mobile Features
Skip Navigation
Skip to Content
Editorial News
Entertainment
Classified Sites

The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Final sex-abuse lawsuit against Elmo actor tossed in Pennsylvania; judge cites NY time limit

PHILADELPHIA - A judge in Pennsylvania dismissed the last of five sex-abuse lawsuits filed against the Emmy-winning puppeteer who voiced the "Sesame Street" character Elmo.

The ruling did not weigh the merits of the claims but said 25-year-old accuser Sheldon Stephens filed suit too late against actor Kevin Clash.

Stephens accused Clash, now 53, of luring him into a sexual relationship after they met at a 2004 networking event for actors when he was about 16.

Four similar lawsuits involving other accusers were previously dismissed in New York, where Clash lives, defence lawyer Michael Berger said.

"We're delighted with the result, and very happy that Kevin can go on with his life," Berger said.

U.S. District Judge Christopher Conner found Thursday that Stephens failed to sue by age 19 under laws in New York, where their meetings took place. Stephens had sued in Pennsylvania, where longer time limits apply. He lives in Harrisburg.

"This ruling highlights the need for a window in New York to allow victims to have their day in court," said Stephens' lawyer, Jeff Herman, who said an appeal was possible. "We are pleased to give victims like Sheldon Stephens a voice, even if legal technicalities preclude this case from moving forward."

The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they have been sexually assaulted, but Stephens has been public about his identity.

Clash resigned from "Sesame Street" amid the accusations, even as he continued to rack up Daytime Emmy Awards for his work. He had spent 28 years playing Elmo on the popular Public Broadcasting Service show, winning more than two dozen Emmys.

He never was charged criminally over any of the allegations, Berger said.

"Kevin is gratified that once again the courts have dismissed the claims against him," Clash spokesman Nicholas Peters said. "We believe we (can) ... begin to turn our full attention to restoring Kevin's personal and professional reputation ... as an accomplished and respected artist."

  • Rate this Rate This Star Icon
  • This article has not yet been rated.
  • We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high. If you thought it was well written, do the same. If it doesn’t meet your standards, mark it accordingly.

    You can also register and/or login to the site and join the conversation by leaving a comment.

    Rate it yourself by rolling over the stars and clicking when you reach your desired rating. We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high.

Sort by: Newest to Oldest | Oldest to Newest | Most Popular 0 Commentscomment icon

You can comment on most stories on brandonsun.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is register and/or login and you can join the conversation and give your feedback.

There are no comments at the moment. Be the first to post a comment below.

Post Your Commentcomment icon

Comment
  • You have characters left

The Brandon Sun does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. Comments are moderated before publication. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Brandon Sun Business Directory
Sudden Surge: Flood of 2014
Opportunity Magazine — The Bakken
Why Not Minot?
Welcome to Winnipeg

Social Media