Accessibility/Mobile Features
Skip Navigation
Skip to Content
Editorial News
Entertainment
Classified Sites

The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Former 'Scandal' star Columbus Short pleads not guilty to felony battery in Los Angeles

FILE - This Nov. 7, 2013 file photo shows Columbus Short at the Ermenegildo Zegna Boutique opening in Beverly Hills, Calif. Former “Scandal” star Columbus Short has pleaded not guilty to seriously injuring a man during an altercation at a restaurant earlier this year.The actor appeared in a Los Angeles courtroom on Thursday, May 15, 2014, for his arraignment on a felony battery charge. Short has been charged with felony battery that resulted in a serious during the fight at a West Hollywood bar in March. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File)

Enlarge Image

FILE - This Nov. 7, 2013 file photo shows Columbus Short at the Ermenegildo Zegna Boutique opening in Beverly Hills, Calif. Former “Scandal” star Columbus Short has pleaded not guilty to seriously injuring a man during an altercation at a restaurant earlier this year.The actor appeared in a Los Angeles courtroom on Thursday, May 15, 2014, for his arraignment on a felony battery charge. Short has been charged with felony battery that resulted in a serious during the fight at a West Hollywood bar in March. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File)

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Former "Scandal" star Columbus Short has pleaded not guilty to felony battery for a fight that seriously injured a man at a West Hollywood restaurant earlier this year.

Short appeared in court for a brief arraignment hearing on the case filed after he was accused of punching a man at the restaurant in March.

The actor's attorney Jeff Jacquet had sought to fast track the case, but Deputy District Attorney David Schorr said the injuries involved were too serious to qualify. He said Short is accused of cold-cocking a man, knocking him unconscious and fracturing his left eye socket.

Superior Court Judge Keith L. Schwartz said based on the injuries the case wasn't eligible for the so-called early disposition program, which could have settled the case before a preliminary hearing in which more details about the altercation would be disclosed.

Short was ordered to return to court on June 5 to set a date for the preliminary hearing.

The case is one of several involving Short and allegations of violence. He faces a misdemeanour spousal battery case and his estranged wife has a temporary restraining order against him. Tanee Short claims her husband threatened her with a knife during a fight in April.

She filed for divorce after the incident, and a hearing on the restraining order is scheduled for May 21.

Jacquet has said Short will contest the restraining order and it will require a lengthy evidentiary hearing.

Short announced last month that he wasn't returning to the hit series "Scandal" for its fourth season.

___

Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP

  • Rate this Rate This Star Icon
  • This article has not yet been rated.
  • We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high. If you thought it was well written, do the same. If it doesn’t meet your standards, mark it accordingly.

    You can also register and/or login to the site and join the conversation by leaving a comment.

    Rate it yourself by rolling over the stars and clicking when you reach your desired rating. We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high.

Sort by: Newest to Oldest | Oldest to Newest | Most Popular 0 Commentscomment icon

You can comment on most stories on brandonsun.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is register and/or login and you can join the conversation and give your feedback.

There are no comments at the moment. Be the first to post a comment below.

Post Your Commentcomment icon

Comment
  • You have characters left

The Brandon Sun does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. Comments are moderated before publication. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Brandon Sun Business Directory
Sudden Surge: Flood of 2014
Opportunity Magazine — The Bakken
Why Not Minot?
Welcome to Winnipeg

Social Media