Accessibility/Mobile Features
Skip Navigation
Skip to Content
Editorial News
Classified Sites

The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Nova Scotia pulp mill shuts down after wastewater leak into river, wetlands

ABERCROMBIE POINT, N.S. - A Nova Scotia paper mill shut down operations Tuesday after it discovered wastewater was leaking from a pipe into surrounding wetlands and a river, said the province's environment minister.

Randy Delorey said Northern Pulp in Abercrombie Point contacted his department Tuesday to notify it about the leak, which prompted a protest by residents of the nearby Pictou Landing First Nation.

Delorey said it's not clear how much effluent, some of which went into the East River, leaked from the pipe.

"It appears there was ... a break or a leak in the pipe that transfers the effluent from the mill to the treatment facility," Delorey said in an interview.

He said a third party is conducting tests to evaluate the effect, if any, on the environment. Any remediation plans would be determined after those results are known.

The effluent contains some naturally occurring substances, he added.

Delorey said his department was not taking the leak lightly, regardless of its effect on the environment.

"It's serious in terms of the fact that it occurred at all," he said.

Northern Pulp spokesman David MacKenzie declined comment.

However, the company said in a statement that its priority was to contain the effluent in a safe and timely manner.

"There is no danger posed to the public," it read. "The mill has protocols in place and trained staff in the event of these situations."

The RCMP issued a news release Tuesday night saying it was monitoring a small protest near the site. The Mounties said some Pictou Landing residents blocked an access road leading to the area where the leak occurred, but there was no concern for public safety.

The mill shut down operations for about two weeks in 2008 and laid off about 180 workers after a leak was discovered in a pipe leading to Boat Harbour. A more serious break was discovered while the pipe was being examined.

Delorey could not say how long the latest shutdown would last.

  • Rate this Rate This Star Icon
  • This article has not yet been rated.
  • We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high. If you thought it was well written, do the same. If it doesn’t meet your standards, mark it accordingly.

    You can also register and/or login to the site and join the conversation by leaving a comment.

    Rate it yourself by rolling over the stars and clicking when you reach your desired rating. We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high.

Sort by: Newest to Oldest | Oldest to Newest | Most Popular 0 Commentscomment icon

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is register and/or login and you can join the conversation and give your feedback.

There are no comments at the moment. Be the first to post a comment below.

Post Your Commentcomment icon

  • You have characters left

The Brandon Sun does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. Comments are moderated before publication. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.


Make text: Larger | Smaller

Brandon Sun Business Directory
The First World War at 100
Why Not Minot?
Welcome to Winnipeg

Social Media