Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 10/1/2014 (1258 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Michael Melnyk, 44
Michael is a realtor who needs to keep in touch. Despite email and text, his main mode of communication on his cellphone is still by voice.
• What’s the split on how much you use your phone for work versus personal matters?
“I would say probably 80 per cent work, 20 per cent personal. Talk time alone, I’m probably 1,500 to 1,800 minutes a month.”
• When out with your wife, will you check your phone?
“I do check it … if it goes off, more than likely it’s business ... Dinner? I usually set it aside. We have a thing in our family that we set it aside while we eat, but the odd time it will go off and I will answer it.”
Jerra Green, 19
<*p(0,0,0,+1,0,0,g(P,S))><z11>Jerra consistently checks her smartphone when it’s
for personal use, but doesn’t use it while working.
• How much time do you spend with your smartphone within arm’s reach?
“I always have it with me, I’m always texting somebody. So quite a lot of the time … It’s always with me, whether I’m on it or not.”
• Do you check your phone when out on a date?
“If I’m having supper with somebody, I don’t. I have it set beside me. Unless somebody’s calling me, I’ll check and see who’s calling, but I don’t text.”
Kathy Horvack, 53
Kathy owns one smartphone, which she always has handy but only checks four to five times per day.
• How much time do you spend on your smartphone?
“I’m not on it all the time or anything. I have it with me all the time. It’s used more for security if I’m on the road and break down.”
• Would you check your phone while out for dinner with your spouse?
“No, not unless it dinged and told me that it had a message from somebody. I don’t need to be on it constantly.”
Ryan Gaudet, 30
Ryan runs an oilfield business, so he always has his phone to keep touch with his workers.
• How often do you check your phone?
“It’s never not on me. I run my own company, so I have guys that work under me that phone me 24/7. I bet every five minutes probably, at least.”
• Do you take your phone with you into the washroom?
“If I have a shower I’ll bring it in there, sit it on the counter.”
» Brandon Sun