Bail has been granted to a man charged with attempted murder in connection with an attack in which a man was stabbed multiple times and had his neck slashed.
“It appears this was a random, extremely violent act,” Crown attorney Kaley Tschetter said during a bail hearing in Brandon court on Tuesday. “At this point in time, there seems to be no provocation leading towards it.”
Tschetter provided the following summary of the allegations, which haven’t been proven in court.
On Saturday at around 9:30 p.m., a drunk man got in a fight with another man outside a home on the 900-block of 11th Street.
During that fight, the intoxicated man broke a beer bottle and waved it threateningly at the other man before he was disarmed by other people at the home.
The disarmed man then walked away from the home, but could be heard talking on his cellphone as he seemed to ask the person on the other end of the line for a knife or M16 rifle.
Fifteen minutes later, the man returned to the home with a hunting knife that had a blade about four to six inches long. He walked through the front door, approached the man he’d previously fought and stabbed the 31-year-old several times in the back, neck and side.
The attack was witnessed by several people in the home, Tschetter said.
As the stabber left the home, he was overheard saying, “The guy is dead. Nobody touches my face.”
Police and an ambulance were called and officers noted that the victim had several slash wounds to the side of his chest and leg, and one slash to his neck.
The injuries were life-threatening, and the victim underwent surgery at hospital to have his spleen removed. He also received stitches to close his cuts, which Tschetter said included a minor cut to his windpipe.
A suspect was arrested on Monday, shortly before 10 a.m. in the area of 23rd Street and Southern Avenue.
Officers noted the man had blood stains on his watch and watch strap. He was also carrying $200 in Canadian cash and $500 in American cash, Tschetter said.
Defence lawyer Ryan Fawcett told court there are a number of issues with the Crown’s case that could be challenged at trial.
Judge Donovan Dvorak granted bail for 43-year-old Jesus Arnoldo Sorto Granados and set his next court date for Sept. 8. The accused’s bail includes a condition that he have no weapons.
Court was told the accused, who has no criminal record, is originally from El Salvador but has lived in Canada for nine years and has permanent residency status.
He lives in Brandon, has family here and currently works in the construction industry.
As of Monday evening, the victim remained in hospital in stable condition.
» Twitter: @Ian Hitchen