Coun. Jeff Fawcett (Assiniboine) chats with Coun. Garth Rice (South Centre) during the city council meeting on Tuesday. (COLIN CORNEAU/BRANDON SUN)
In addition to what has been reported in the Brandon Sun this week, the following is a summary of other items addressed at the Brandon City Council meeting on Feb. 19:
• City council held public hearings for and subsequently gave final approval to by-laws for the designation of properties at 662 11th St. and 706 Lorne Ave. as municipal heritage sites. As per a report from the municipal heritage advisory committee, the property at 662 11th St., owned by Keith Michael Maluga and Susan Angele Marie Lauzon, displays an architecture rich in Italianate features and has a history dating back 119 years. The property at 706 Lorne Ave., meanwhile, is owned by Caitlyn Yacucha and is a 2.5-storey home built in 1898 and boasts an impressive array of Queen Anne style building features. The designation of 706 Lorne Ave. also includes a number of the interior features of the building, such as its staircase and veranda door.
• Council received a verbal report from Coun. Jim McCrae (Meadows) on behalf of the personnel committee, which highlighted the recent finalization of a contract with members of the Brandon Police Service. The one-year contract with the Brandon Police Association provides a 4.44 per cent increase for sworn members, effective Jan.1, with a further wage adjustment based on comparator centres as of July 1. With this settlement, non-sworn members will receive a two per cent wage increase. The settlement also contains general language clarification, cleanup of wording and introduces a short-term, retirement incentive package, which provides an enhanced retirement pay-out for individuals who have attained their "Rule of 80" (their age plus their years of service) with the City of Brandon and wish to retire prior to July 16, 2013.
• Council received a verbal report from Coun. Shawn Berry (Linden Lanes) on behalf of the General Museum and Archives Inc. board of directors, of which he was recently appointed chair. Berry reported that the Museum and Archives will be showing a collection from the 26th Field Regiment Museum in the next few months and that the board has just completed a five-year strategic plan on how it wants to move forward in the coming years.
• City council approved the appointment of Coun. Murray Blight (Victoria) to the Brandon and Area Planning District and Coun. Garth Rice (South Centre) to the Keystone Centre board of directors. The changes in board appointments reflect a resignation by Coun. Corey Roberts (Rosser) from the Brandon and Area Planning District board.
• Council granted approval for city administration to begin preparing a bylaw for a secondary plan for Southwest Brandon. The area in question encompasses approximately 150 hectares of land in the newly annexed southwest corner of Brandon. This plan will provide layout development considerations such as land use, road networks, active transportation/pedestrian connections, infrastructure implications, urban design and phasing. It’s anticipated the plan could be ready for council consideration in the fall of 2013.
• Council gave final approval to boundary changes for the Linden Lanes and Meadows wards to reflect land annexation in Brandon’s southwest corner. With the changes, the north limit of the Linden Lanes ward will return to being the Canadian National Railway (CNR) right-of-way and the east limit returns to being 26th Street. The boundary of the Meadows ward will now extend west of 34th Street into the Waverly subdivision between Park Avenue and the CNR right-of-way to the west limit of the city. To reflect the latter boundary change, the Meadows ward will be renamed as the Meadows-Waverly ward.
• Council approved various amendments to Zoning By-law No. 6642 regarding land use and parking regulations within the Downtown HUB. The changes respect the recently-implemented HUB Secondary Plan by regulating land use and parking within The HUB itself. Among the changes are the provision of a minimum of one off-street parking space for each residential dwelling unit constructed in a new building in the HUB’s mixed use zone (but not for an existing buildings) and changes to the HUB bulk and siting requirements.
• Council gave second reading to a bylaw to re-zone the property at 1406 Lorne Ave. from RLD Residential Low Density Multiple Family Zone to RMD Residential Moderate Density Multiple Family Zone to accommodate the owner, Mun-Yeol Lee, constructing an eight unit, two-storey multiple-family dwelling. Third reading of the bylaw is being held in abeyance until a development agreement is in place and pending any further objections.
• Council gave second reading to a by-law to rezone the northern portion of 3000 Richmond Ave. East from DR Development Reserve Zone to MG Industrial General Zone. The owners, Gloria and June Cumming and Janice Bradley, are applying for the re-zoning of the former sand and gravel pit to allow for the construction of a building and yard for Tri-Wave Construction. The proposal would also subdivide the subject parcel to the north of the CNR right-of-way while allowing the gravel pit to the south of the right-of-way to remain with the existing owners. Third reading of the by-law will be held in abeyance pending the execution of a development agreement.
• Council gave final approval to a by-law to amend wording relating to terms of office for members of the Planning Commission to allow a commission member who may come on midterm due to a resignation to apply for a full, three-year term on the commission once their partial term expires.
• Council gave first reading to a by-law to rezone property located at 1660 34th St. from DR Development Reserve Zone to RSF Residential Single Family Zone. The change is being sought by the property’s developer, Waverly Developments Ltd., to allow for the development of 34 single family lots.
Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition February 22, 2013