Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 13/11/2012 (1685 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
A charge of sexual assault against a CFB Shilo soldier has been dropped.
The charge was laid in connection with one of many reports this year of men committing lewd acts in public.
It was stayed earlier this week and Crown attorney Garry Rainnie said it couldn’t be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused had committed the offence.
“There were issues related to identification,” Rainnie explained following court.
Within the first six months of this year, there were at least 10 reports of men committing lewd acts in public in both Brandon and Shilo.
The last act, however, seems to have been reported on June 19.
A Shilo soldier was charged with sexual assault in connection with an incident on Feb. 3 in which a woman was reportedly grabbed by a man as she walked down a Brandon Street.
It was alleged that the woman was approached from behind and grabbed by a man who had his genitals exposed.
That was the charge that was dropped this week.
Another CFB Shilo solder was arrested, and ultimately punished, for another incident.
Bradley Bennett, a gunner for 1RCHA, was sentenced to 12 days in military jail for an incident on May 2.
One of the victims said a man was masturbating while watching her and another woman in a changing room at the base recreation centre. The women were changing into their workout clothes.
At trial, Bennett was found guilty of disgraceful conduct under the National Defence Act.
Otherwise, Brandon police say they’ve made no further arrests in relation to the Brandon cases but continue to investigate.