Hey there, time traveller! This article was published 9/10/2012 (1750 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Drivers had something to be thankful for this past Thanksgiving weekend — no one was killed in crashes on Manitoba highways.
There were three deaths as a result of collisions over Thanksgiving weekend last year, but none this year.
In the Brandon area, patrolling RCMP laid one impaired driving charge related to a crash, and ticketed four speeders.
"It sounds like, for the most part, people were behaving themselves," Blue Hills RCMP Staff Sgt. Mike Zens said.
The one impaired driving charge was laid against the 74-year-old driver of a semi-trailer that rolled on the Trans-Canada Highway west of Alexander on Friday night. No one was injured.
This year’s edition of the annual Operation Impact campaign was held Oct. 5-8.
Across the province, Mounties laid 36 impaired driving charges, including one that was for being impaired by a drug.
There were also 49 tickets written for failing to wear a seatbelt, and nine handed out for using a handheld electronic device while driving.
Another 490 charges were laid for various traffic-related charges including speeding and intersection infractions.
Last year, there were 19 impaired driving charges laid, 32 tickets issued for failing to wear a seatbelt, 11 tickets for using handheld electronic devices while driving, and 575 charges for speeding and other traffic charges.
While no one was killed during crashes this weekend, Zens did offer one sobering statistic — the number of impaired driving charges laid by Blue Hills RCMP is on the rise.
There have been a number of fatal alcohol-related crashes in the area recently, Zens noted.
"Obviously, the message still is not getting out to a number of people," Zens said.
There were 30 impaired driving charges laid from April 1 to the present. Last year, there were 23 laid for April through December.