BRUCE BUMSTEAD/BRANDON SUN
Brandon Transit launched its annual Fill the Bus campaign for the Westman Christmas Cheer registry on Sunday. Selected daily bus routes will be waived for riders who donate a non-perishable food item or new, unwrapped toy.
The annual Fill the Bus campaign, marking its 10th year, rolled out of the station yesterday.
Buses will be parked at different locations this upcoming weekend and next weekend urging everyone to fill the bus with non-perishable food and unwrapped toys.
But in a new twist this year, Brandon Transit is also taking the charity on the road.
Each day a different route will be designated at the Christmas Cheer Bus and will accept a donation in lieu of the fare.
On Sunday, the slowest day for transit use, the central belt route kick started the new addition with a modest amount of donations.
All donations are in support of the Christmas Cheer Board.
"We were trying to do something different," said committee member Brian Hersey.
"The first day wasn’t too bad, we had some cash donations, about $40 and some food items," he said. "Everything counts."
Hersey said the bulk of the donations will come from the parked buses, which will be at the Corral Centre Safeway on Saturday, between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., and in the Target parking lot at Shoppers Mall on Dec. 14, between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Pre-made donation packages of $5 or $10 are also available for purchase at both Brandon Safeway stores.
The Christmas Cheer Bus continues:
• Today — Kirkcaldy, Route No. 3
• Dec. 3 — Circular, Route No. 20
• Dec. 4 — Rec Centre, Route No. 7
• Dec. 5 — 18th Street South, Route No. 9
• Dec. 6 — Richmond West, Route No. 1
• Dec. 7 — Circular, Route No. 2
• Dec. 8 — Victoria East, Route No. 6
• Dec. 9 — Rec Centre, Route No. 7
• Dec. 10 — Central Belt, Route No. 10
• Dec. 11 — Kirkcaldy, Route No. 3
• Dec. 12 — Circular, Route No. 20
• Dec. 13 — 18th Street South, Route No. 9
• Dec. 14 — Victoria East, Route No. 6
• Dec. 15 — Richmond West, Route No. 1
» Brandon Sun
Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition December 2, 2013