Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 14/1/2013 (1625 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
A judge has served a hefty fine and driving ban to a man who passed out at the wheel in a city drive-thru while waiting for his meal.
Defence lawyer Patrick Sullivan said that Brendon Matthew Lilley left a party in a cab, but later made the mistake of driving himself to a fast-food restaurant.
“He made the poor decision to go to McDonald’s to get a bite to eat,” Sullivan said in Brandon provincial court on Monday.
Crown attorney Garry Rainnie said police were called by a Victoria Avenue McDonald’s employee around 1:30 a.m. on Dec. 16.
A man in the drive-thru had slurred speech and had fumbled with his wallet.
Suspicious staff stalled for time by delaying service until police arrived and an officer was at the restaurant within a minute of receiving the call.
An employee told police that the suspect was now asleep in his vehicle at the drive-thru window.
Police opened the pickup truck’s door and awoke the driver, who was Lilley, and he was told to put the truck into park as it was still in gear.
A droopy-eyed Lilley staggered as he got out of the pickup and tests showed he had three times the legal limit of alcohol in his system.
Lilley, 31, had been at a Christmas party that happened to coincide with his birthday, Sullivan said.
Lilley had left the party in a cab, Sullivan said, but decided to drive when he got hungry.
Judge John Combs fined Lilley $1,500 and banned him from driving for 18 months.