The second of two teens involved in gang-motivated shootings of city homes has been sentenced to 240 days in jail.
Judge Shauna Hewitt-Michta said the shootings show that Brandon isn't just grappling with a gang presence any more.
"We have become a city with a gang problem," Hewitt-Michta said as she sentenced the 17-year-old boy.
The 240 days in jail is on top of the seven months the boy has already spent in custody pending on charges.
Jail will be followed by 170 days in the community under supervision.
That, in turn, will be followed up with two years probation.
Last month, a co-accused 17-year-old boy was sentenced to eight months in jail, four months supervision in the community and one year probation.
That youth had spent six months in jail prior for sentencing.
Both had pleaded guilty to two counts of reckless discharge of a firearm and one count of possession of a firearm obtained by crime.
Neither admitted being the trigger-man, but the boy sentenced yesterday admitted he was the one who supplied the rifle that fired the shots.
That gun was stolen along with two others from the home of the boy's aunt at the Sioux Valley Dakota Nation.
Up to six Brandon homes may have been shot at on the evening of July 19 and morning of July 20.
But the youths only took responsibility for shots fired at two homes where supporting ballistic evidence was found -- the Louise Avenue home of an Indian Posse gang member and the 12th Street home of a reputed drug dealer.
There were people inside the Louise Avenue home when a bullet passed through two walls to lodge in another, but nobody was hurt.
On 12th Street, a bullet passed through a garage door where there was a party and hit a TV that exploded. Again, no one was hurt.
Following his arrest, the teen sentenced yesterday told police that he was from Winnipeg and was a "shooter" for MOB.
MOB is said to stand for Most Organized Brothers or Money Over Bitches.
He said MOB was at war with the Indian Posse and he was sent to Brandon to shoot IP houses. His co-accused was a lower-ranking member with MOB, he said.
Crown attorney Jim Ross said that, since the shooting, the youth has told a probation officer that he has reached "captain" status with the gang.
He was under a probation order and a firearms ban at the time of the shootings.
Yesterday, defence lawyer Bob Harrison said his client is still in the gang but wants to leave and turned down the captain rank.
Harrison said the boy was upset because the Indian Posse had sold drugs to a family member. The shootings were revenge, the boy claimed, but he only acted as a lookout.
Judge Hewitt-Michta, however, ruled that the youth is entrenched in a gang lifestyle and gang rivalry was the motive.
She handed him the maximum youth sentence as recommended by Ross.