Accessibility/Mobile Features
Skip Navigation
Skip to Content
Editorial News
Classified Sites

Brandon Sun - PRINT EDITION

Killer denied fair hearing, parole board rules

Erin Chorney’s killer, Michael Bridges, will get a second National Parole Board hearing as he seeks absences to visit a dying family member in hospital.

Enlarge Image

Erin Chorney’s killer, Michael Bridges, will get a second National Parole Board hearing as he seeks absences to visit a dying family member in hospital. (FILE PHOTO)

WINNIPEG — The National Parole Board has found its members did not provide a fair hearing to a notorious Manitoba killer seeking leave from prison on compassionate grounds.

Michael Bridges appeared before a two-person federal panel in June, asking them to allow him escorted absences to visit a dying family member in hospital. This request came despite the fact he isn’t eligible to apply for parole until 2029.

His bid was denied. But in documents obtained by the Winnipeg Free Press, the parole board has now struck down that decision and ruled Bridges should be given a second chance.

They say the panel made errors in law, failed to provide sufficient reasons for their denial, conducted an inadequate risk assessment of Bridges and "did not meet its duty to act fairly."

"Two other board members, who did not take part in the decision ... will review your case and reach their own conclusions in conformity with the law, board policy and the principles of fundamental justice," the decision reads.

No date for the new hearing has been set.

Bridges, 33, says a loved one is terminally ill and he wants to spend time with the person in hospital. Specific reference to the identity of the male relative is blacked out in parole documents.

His initial request was quickly shot down for several reasons, including the brutal nature of his crime and the views of the family of his victim, Erin Chorney. An impact statement written earlier this year was presented at the hearing.

Bridges and Chorney, 18, had been involved in a stormy relationship which ended shortly before he killed her in Brandon in 2002. The case would remain unsolved until 2004, and Chorney’s family still hoped she might be alive.

During an elaborate "Mr. Big" RCMP operation, Bridges calmly explained how he choked Chorney unconscious, then cut the cord off his mother’s hair dryer and used it to strangle Chorney. When she didn’t die, he submerged her head in his bathtub for nearly 20 minutes.

Bridges then carried her body to a nearby cemetery, dug up a freshly covered grave and placed her inside.

Bridges was convicted in 2005 of first-degree murder and lost a subsequent appeal. He tried to claim he was innocent and actually a victim of police entrapment — despite having specific knowledge of the crime only the killer would have known.

Parole documents show he has completed numerous family violence and anger management programs while behind bars, upgraded his education and is now deemed a low-enough risk that he was moved to a minimum-security penitentiary earlier this year.

Bridges has also expressed interest in taking part in a future restorative justice process with Chorney’s family, "So that they can get what they need from me." The family has said they have no interest to speak with him.

As part of his request for escorted leaves, Bridges put forward a detailed proposal on how they would work. He would travel from prison to hospital in a Correctional Services of Canada vehicle with at least one armed escort. He would also be allowed to stop for a meal at a restaurant during the trip, which was estimated to last at least nine hours total on each occasion.

» Winnipeg Free Press

Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition August 21, 2014

  • Rate this Rate This Star Icon
  • This article has not yet been rated.
  • We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high. If you thought it was well written, do the same. If it doesn’t meet your standards, mark it accordingly.

    You can also register and/or login to the site and join the conversation by leaving a comment.

    Rate it yourself by rolling over the stars and clicking when you reach your desired rating. We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high.

Sort by: Newest to Oldest | Oldest to Newest | Most Popular 0 Commentscomment icon

You can comment on most stories on brandonsun.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is register and/or login and you can join the conversation and give your feedback.

There are no comments at the moment. Be the first to post a comment below.

Post Your Commentcomment icon

Comment
  • You have characters left

The Brandon Sun does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. Comments are moderated before publication. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

WINNIPEG — The National Parole Board has found its members did not provide a fair hearing to a notorious Manitoba killer seeking leave from prison on compassionate grounds.

Michael Bridges appeared before a two-person federal panel in June, asking them to allow him escorted absences to visit a dying family member in hospital. This request came despite the fact he isn’t eligible to apply for parole until 2029.

Please subscribe to view full article.

Already subscribed? Login to view full article.

Not yet a subscriber? Click here to sign up

WINNIPEG — The National Parole Board has found its members did not provide a fair hearing to a notorious Manitoba killer seeking leave from prison on compassionate grounds.

Michael Bridges appeared before a two-person federal panel in June, asking them to allow him escorted absences to visit a dying family member in hospital. This request came despite the fact he isn’t eligible to apply for parole until 2029.

Subscription required to view full article.

A subscription to the Brandon Sun Newspaper is required to view this article. Please update your user information if you are already a newspaper subscriber.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Brandon Sun Business Directory
The First World War at 100

Social Media