WINNIPEG — Accused serial killer Shawn Lamb says he knows what triggered a massive Winnipeg police sweep of downtown and West End yards, buildings and dumpsters.
“I imagine they’re out there looking for one thing. They’re looking for bodies,” Lamb said Thursday in a 20-minute telephone interview from the Remand Centre. “They have a list with so many names on it.”
But Lamb — who was charged this week with killing three young Winnipeg women over the past nine months —denied suggestions he could be linked to any other unsolved homicides in Winnipeg or across Canada.
“I’ve given them voluntary DNA, not to include myself but to exclude myself,” he said. “The police are going to say what they’re going to say.”
Lamb, 52, was arrested last Thursday on a sex-assault charge against a 36-year-old woman. He then spent more than 48 hours in custody, going through a grilling marathon interrogation with homicide investigators, before the three charges of second-degree murder were laid.
“The main thing for me is the victims. There are many people who are suffering out there,” Lamb said. He said police are probably also wanting to show “their goodwill” to the community by making such a public display of their search.
Police discovered the body of Lamb’s alleged victims, Lorna Blacksmith, 18, in a yard on Simcoe Street last Thursday. She was allegedly killed in January.
Lamb has also been charged with the December 2012 killing of 25-year-old Carolyn Sinclair, whose body was discovered in March.
The third victim, Tanya Nepinak, was reportedly killed last September. Her remains haven’t been found.
Lamb said police have also confronted him with the names of dozens of other young Manitoba women who have been killed or gone missing. There are also investigations ongoing in other provinces to determine whether Lamb could be connected to any of their cold cases.
“I hope everyone who’s responsible will be caught,” Lamb said. He was asked to clarify if that meant there were many killers still walking the streets.
“Exactly,” he replied. “It’s a sad thing for the victims and their loved ones. There are so many questions.”
Lamb was specifically asked if he plans to fight the allegations he killed Blacksmith, Sinclair and Nepinak. He refused to give a direct answer.
“I’m definitely going to fight to make sure this is done properly,” Lamb said. He explained that meant that his “Charter rights” were upheld and offered no further details.
Lamb admitted he was speaking without the consent of his defence lawyer, Evan Roitenberg. He decried the conditions at the Remand Centre, which he says includes 231/2 hours per day inside a segregated cell on the maximum-security floor.
“I know I’m not getting out of here anytime soon,” Lamb said. “I don’t have a radio, I’m last on the list to get a newspaper. I get out for half an hour a day to shower and use the phone, that’s it.”
In fact, the conversation had to be cut short because his daily allotment of time outside that segregated cell was close to expiring. Still, Lamb expressed concern about some of the limited news coverage he has been able to catch, wondering aloud why media outlets are focusing so much on his tragic background.
As reported earlier this week, Lamb has 99 prior convictions dating back to 1976 in four provinces and 11 different cities. They include multiple acts of violence which have seen him spend much of his adult years in and out of custody.
His most serious sentence was four years for a sexual assault that happened in Peace River, Alta., in 1992.
» Winnipeg Free Press
Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition June 29, 2012