The number of adults charged with child abuse in a small Old Order Mennonite community in Manitoba has grown.
On Thursday, the Sun reported that 10 adult community members were facing charges of assault and assault with a weapon as a result of an RCMP investigation.
Yesterday, RCMP confirmed the number of people who have been charged in relation to the same investigation has increased to 13.
As the Sun reported earlier this week, 53 children lived in the community before the crisis. The 11 children of the father originally accused of abuse had been staying at the homes of other community members but CFS removed them, returned them to their parents and they now reportedly live in Ontario.
In January and June, the remaining 42 children were apprehended from the community by CFS.
However, a source says one teen ran away from his CFS placement back to his Mennonite home and was allowed to stay.
Another 13-year-old boy also ran away from his placement and remains missing. He has been in contact with community members, but they don’t know where he is, leaving only one to two children in the community.
The CBC reported yesterday that court documents show the youngest alleged victim is less than a year old and the oldest is 17.
Two women from the community are also said to be on the run, having apparently fled in the belief they were about to be charged.
None of the allegations against the community members have been proven in court.
The 40 Mennonite children remain in CFS care. They’re said to be living in homes across Manitoba with Mennonites from other communities.
» Brandon Sun
Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition July 5, 2013