COLIN CORNEAU/BRANDON SUN
Firefighters work to contain a fire in the garage of a home in the 500-block of 21st Street, Wednesday afternoon.
Neighbours helped battle a garage fire that broke out at a city home on Wednesday afternoon and managed to tame the flames until firefighters arrived.
Firefighters attend a fire at a home in the 500-block of 21st Street, Wednesday afternoon. There were no injuries in the incident, which centred on the home's garage. (COLIN CORNEAU/BRANDON SUN)
Firefighters were called to the home on the 500-block of 21st Street at 3:30 p.m. The fire was in a garage attached to the house.
Flames were showing inside the garage when firefighters arrived, but neighbours had used a garden hose to slow down the fire.
Firefighters were then able to get at the blaze with a bigger hose and put it out.
The wall and part of the ceiling had burned and some of the siding on the house had melted.
The cause of the fire hasn’t been determined yet, but it isn’t considered suspicious.
A woman and her son were in the house at the time, but were alerted by neighbours and escaped. No injuries were reported.
Together, neighbours and firefighters managed to save a home estimated to be worth about $250,000.
» Brandon Sun
Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition August 29, 2013