Assiniboine Community College
• ACC wants to see what students are up to around campus. Submit a photo to our Facebook or Twitter accounts for the #MyLifeAtACC contest and you could win a $50 gift card. Visit assiniboine.net for the full contest details.
• Become an ACC Ambassador, a great way to meet people and it looks good on the resumé. All students are invited to the kickoff meeting on Tuesday at 4:45 p.m. in the cafeteria at the Victoria Avenue East Campus.
• The Adult Collegiate (at 725 Rosser Ave.) will be hosting a Welcome Back barbecue for students on Wednesday, Sept. 19, from noon until 1 p.m.
• Starting the week of Sept. 17, fitness and yoga classes will run four days a week over the lunch hour for students and staff. Contact the Health and Wellness committee at 204-725-8729 for more information.
• The Centre of Continuing Studies has an exciting lineup of courses for everyone this fall. Call 204-725-8725 for more information or check out courses online at assiniboine.net/continuingstudies. Here are a few example of our courses:
• Management Skill Development — Improve your management competencies in this 13-week course that demonstrates practical applications of these skills in a team setting. Tuesdays and Thursdays starting Sept. 18 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Registration and tuition required.
• K-12 EAL Student Integration — The ACE Certificate in K-12 EAL Student Integration is designed for K-12 teachers who have ESL students in their classes. This practical, hands-on course provides ideas, strategies and tools for the successful integration of EAL students at both the school and classroom level. Thursdays for seven weeks starting Sept. 20 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Registration and tuition required.
• Conversational Ojibway 1 — Come learn and practise this traditional language in a non-intimidating environment through fun activities. Mondays for 10 weeks starting Sept. 24 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Registration and tuition required.
» Kim Jones
• This Friday on Rosser Avenue, the annual Rock the Block concert will be held. Check busu.ca for more details.
• On Sept. 21 at 8 p.m. in the Lorne Watson Recital Hall the 2012-13 pro series kicks off with an evening of jazz, featuring the talented faculty members in the jazz department. Tickets will be available at the door.
• On Sept. 28 at 8 p.m. in the Lorne Watson Recital Hall the 2012-13 pro series continues with a concert featuring the Cecilia String Quartet with Gyorgy Tchaidze at the piano. There will be eight other concerts as well as the Brandon University New Music Festival presented in the series. For more information, visit brandonu.ca/events.
• From Oct. 10 to 14, Brandon University campus and other locations will celebrate the yearly gathering of alumni. This will feature new Blue and Gold events — a visit to BU’s observatory, a launch party at Lady of the Lake and the celebration of the geography department’s 50th anniversary — along with participants’ favourites. Stay tuned to the Homecoming web page at brandonu.ca for more information.
• On Saturday, Nov. 3 the third annual Graduate Student Research Colloquium will have a theme of mixed methods in action research. A special feature of the colloquium is the Celebration of Authors in honour of the contributors to volume 2(2), 3(1), 3(2), and 4(1) of the BU Journal of Graduate Studies in Education. For more information and to register, contact Marion Terry at (204) 727-9793, firstname.lastname@example.org. The time and place are yet to announced.
Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition September 8, 2012