Accessibility/Mobile Features
Skip Navigation
Skip to Content
Editorial News
Classified Sites

Brandon Sun - PRINT EDITION

Provincial gov't projects smaller, $485M deficit

WINNIPEG — The Selinger government is now projecting a smaller deficit this year than it originally anticipated.

Finance Minister Jennifer Howard said Friday the province is expected to run a $485-million deficit for 2013-14, $33 million less than it predicted in the April budget.

Higher revenues and solid performances at some Crown agencies are behind the improved outlook.

Core government spending is projected to be $41 million higher than budgeted this year, due mainly to increased justice and family services costs.

The improved deficit outlook was contained in the Finance Department’s second-quarter report, released on Friday. It comes despite the fact the province has to return

$37 million in federal transfer payments this fiscal year due to a dispute over the size of the provincial population. The provincial government continues to argue that Ottawa is under-counting the Manitoba population by 18,000 people, a contention that Statistics Canada disputes.

Last year, Manitoba incurred a $580-million deficit. The government has promised to post balanced budgets by the 2016-17 fiscal year.

Retail sales tax revenues for the first six months of the fiscal year — to Sept. 30 — were $50.2 million higher than budgeted. That was mainly due to greater sales, since the July 1 PST hike was factored into the original forecast.

Howard said the public may have responded to sales pitches to buy before the tax hike took effect, although she noted that retail sales have generally been strong in Manitoba.

“That’s been helpful for the economy, but it’s also good on the revenue side,” she said.

Howard said greater program efficiencies are needed in the Justice and Family Services departments, which provide necessary services but chronically spend more than budgeted. However, she was pleased that the Health Department, which accounts for 38 per cent of all government spending, continues to live within its cash allotment.

Meanwhile, Howard has asked Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries to investigate a drop in gaming revenues. Gambling profits were down $17.2 million in the first six months of the operating year, including a slide of $10.8 million from VLTs and $600,000 from casinos. The drop in VLT profits comes despite substantial investments in the machines.

“It just may be that we’re at the point where people’s appetite for gambling is satiated,” Howard said. “If that is happening then we have to adjust our (revenue) projections.”

» Winnipeg Free Press

Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition December 21, 2013

  • Rate this Rate This Star Icon
  • This article has not yet been rated.
  • We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high. If you thought it was well written, do the same. If it doesn’t meet your standards, mark it accordingly.

    You can also register and/or login to the site and join the conversation by leaving a comment.

    Rate it yourself by rolling over the stars and clicking when you reach your desired rating. We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high.

Sort by: Newest to Oldest | Oldest to Newest | Most Popular 0 Commentscomment icon

You can comment on most stories on brandonsun.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is register and/or login and you can join the conversation and give your feedback.

There are no comments at the moment. Be the first to post a comment below.

Post Your Commentcomment icon

Comment
  • You have characters left

The Brandon Sun does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. Comments are moderated before publication. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

WINNIPEG — The Selinger government is now projecting a smaller deficit this year than it originally anticipated.

Finance Minister Jennifer Howard said Friday the province is expected to run a $485-million deficit for 2013-14, $33 million less than it predicted in the April budget.

Please subscribe to view full article.

Already subscribed? Login to view full article.

Not yet a subscriber? Click here to sign up

WINNIPEG — The Selinger government is now projecting a smaller deficit this year than it originally anticipated.

Finance Minister Jennifer Howard said Friday the province is expected to run a $485-million deficit for 2013-14, $33 million less than it predicted in the April budget.

Subscription required to view full article.

A subscription to the Brandon Sun Newspaper is required to view this article. Please update your user information if you are already a newspaper subscriber.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Brandon Sun Business Directory
Submit a Random Act of Kindness
Why Not Minot?
Welcome to Winnipeg

Social Media