Accessibility/Mobile Features
Skip Navigation
Skip to Content
Editorial News
Classified Sites

Brandon Sun - PRINT EDITION

Robbery suspects get bail

A pair of teens accused in connection with a violent robbery have been released on bail.

Their release comes even as Judge John Combs noted that, disturbingly, one of the suspects was found with a hammer and a knife during his arrest.

“That is a huge concern,” Combs remarked as details of the allegations were shared on Thursday during a court appearance for a 15-year-old accused.

Crown attorney Grant Hughes outlined the following allegations based on the accounts of a witness and the victim. The allegations haven’t been proven in court.

Hughes said police were alerted to the robbery on the 600-block of Park Avenue around 8:45 p.m. on Tuesday.

A witness was driving by when she saw two males follow, and then chase down, another. One of the pursuing males and the victim then fell to the ground.

When the witness honked the horn of her vehicle and flashed its lights, the assailant stood up but kept punching and kicking the victim.

The second robber — who the witness said was armed with a knife — had also kicked and punched the victim.

The 18-year-old man who was mugged managed to get up and the witness yelled at him to get into her vehicle, which he did, and she drove him to the police station.

The victim said the robbers had made off with his wallet that contained $400.

About 10 minutes after the robbery was reported, officers found and arrested two boys at the Keystone Centre.

During their arrest, one suspect allegedly dropped $400 cash. The other boy had a wallet that contained the victim’s ID.

One of them also had a claw hammer and a six- to seven-inch knife in his pockets.

At the time of the robbery, the 15-year-old accused had been released on bail after allegedly being found in a stolen SUV on Jan 5.

He was also pending on allegations that he kicked and damaged a vehicle in a parking lot while out past his curfew on Feb. 18.

He was arrested in connection with the robbery at five minutes prior to his curfew.

Despite Combs’ concern about the weapons, the teen and his 16-year-old co-accused in the robbery were both released during court appearances on Thursday. The 16-year-old was released with a Crown attorney’s consent.

Both are set to appear in court again next month.

» ihitchen@brandonsun.com

Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition February 21, 2014

  • Rate this Rate This Star Icon
  • This article has not yet been rated.
  • We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high. If you thought it was well written, do the same. If it doesn’t meet your standards, mark it accordingly.

    You can also register and/or login to the site and join the conversation by leaving a comment.

    Rate it yourself by rolling over the stars and clicking when you reach your desired rating. We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high.

Sort by: Newest to Oldest | Oldest to Newest | Most Popular 0 Commentscomment icon

You can comment on most stories on brandonsun.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is register and/or login and you can join the conversation and give your feedback.

There are no comments at the moment. Be the first to post a comment below.

Post Your Commentcomment icon

Comment
  • You have characters left

The Brandon Sun does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. Comments are moderated before publication. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

A pair of teens accused in connection with a violent robbery have been released on bail.

Their release comes even as Judge John Combs noted that, disturbingly, one of the suspects was found with a hammer and a knife during his arrest.

Please subscribe to view full article.

Already subscribed? Login to view full article.

Not yet a subscriber? Click here to sign up

A pair of teens accused in connection with a violent robbery have been released on bail.

Their release comes even as Judge John Combs noted that, disturbingly, one of the suspects was found with a hammer and a knife during his arrest.

Subscription required to view full article.

A subscription to the Brandon Sun Newspaper is required to view this article. Please update your user information if you are already a newspaper subscriber.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Election 2014
Brandon Sun Business Directory
The First World War at 100
Why Not Minot?
Welcome to Winnipeg

Social Media