The “aggressor” who sparked a notorious beating at Shoppers Mall has been sentenced to probation.
Crown attorney Deidre Badcock made a failed request to have the girl sentenced to jail, citing the fact that the offender had repeatedly breached court orders since the incident.
“She’s come before the court, she’s been given break after break after break and is continuing to breach the court’s trust,” Badcock said during sentencing in Brandon court earlier this week.
Badcock described the girl’s role in a pair of vicious assaults at the mall on April 3.
The 14-year-old offender, her sister and two other females, and three males were following and shouting at a 15-year-old victim who was with her friends.
The offender blamed the
15-year-old for stealing makeup and clothing during a previous sleepover.
The accuser and her group then approached the 15-year-old’s group in the food court, intent on starting a fight. When the victim tried to get up and walk away, the offender attacked.
The ensuing fight was video recorded — apparently by friends of the offender — and posted to the Internet.
The video shows the offender attacking the victim as she tries to walk away, pulling her to the ground before repeatedly slapping at her.
The victim manages to get the better of her attacker, but then one of the offender’s female friends jumps in, pulls the victim to the ground again and repeatedly punches her about the head.
Meanwhile, the victim’s 18-year-old friend tries to intervene, but she’s pulled to the ground by yet another of the girls from the offender’s group.
The victim’s friend has her hair pulled as her attacker tries to knee her in the face.
Badcock told court the fight was broken up by a pair of bystanders and security arrived a short time later. The offender and her group fled the mall. The 14-year-old instigator was later arrested, and she and three other girls were charged with assault.
Badcock said the initial victim had minor bumps and bruises on her face. Her friend had hair pulled out, a sore jaw and a headache.
On Monday, the 14-year-old aggressor pleaded guilty in Brandon court and was sentenced for two counts of assault. She also pleaded guilty to repeatedly breaching release orders by violating her curfew, and having and drinking alcohol.
Badcock asked Judge John Combs to give the girl 30 days in jail, on top of the 20 days she had spent in pre-sentence custody.
Jail would be followed by 15 days supervision in the community and then a one-year probation order.
Defence lawyer Philip Sieklicki, however, asked for deferred custody, a form of probation.
Combs agreed with Sieklicki’s suggestion and imposed a three-month deferred custody order with conditions on all charges.
The girl, who was in custody at the time of sentencing, will be released. If she breaches this latest order, she may spend the remainder of her sentence in jail.
Last month, a 14-year-old co-accused received 18 months probation after spending two months in custody prior to sentencing. She threw coffee at the victim prior to the attack, and during the beating she pulled the hair of the victim’s friend while she was being hit.
Another 14-year-old girl recently had her charges dropped due to lack of evidence.
The case of another 15-year-old girl, the sister of the girl sentenced this week, is still before the courts.
Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition September 28, 2013