TORONTO — There’s never a bad time to be a billionaire, but some years are better than others. And though 2012 has been a decidedly mixed year economically, it has actually been a great time for the 100 richest Canadians.
Of the 100 individuals and families on the list, 86 grew their net worth, while only 14 experienced declines.
The rich 100 broke a number of their own records again, too: their collective net worth surged past $200 billion. And after a few years of modest growth, the number of billionaires on the list increased to 69.
The biggest mover was Lawrence Stroll of Sportswear Holdings Ltd. and Michael Kors Holdings Ltd. who debuts at No. 32 with a net worth of $1.9 billion, up 235 per cent over 2011.
The largest drop was experienced by Robert Friedland of Ivanhoe Mines, Ivanhoe Energy, Ivanplats Ltd. who fell from No. 17 to No. 62 with a net worth of $1.08 billion, down 61 per cent over 2011.
The top 10 on the Canadian Business magazine Rich 100 List for 2012 are:
1. Thomson family — Thomson Reuters, Woodbridge Co. Ltd., Toronto; Net worth: $20.1 billion, down 5.7 per cent (from last year).
2. Galen Weston — George Weston Ltd., Loblaw Cos. Ltd., Holt Renfrew, Toronto Net worth: $8.2 billion, up three per cent.
3. James (J.K.), Arthur, and estate of John (Jack) Irving — Irving Oil Ltd., J.D. Irving Ltd., Saint John, N.B.; Net worth: $8.07 billion, up 3.5 per cent.
4. Rogers family — Rogers Communications Inc., Toronto; Net worth: $6.41 billion, up eight per cent.
5. Jimmy Pattison — Jim Pattison Group, Vancouver; Net worth: $6.14 billion, up 7.1 per cent.
6. Jeff Skoll — eBay Inc., Participant Media, Palo Alto, Calif.; Net worth: $4.55 billion, up 21.3 per cent.
7. Paul Desmarais Sr. — Power Corp. of Canada, Montreal; Net worth: $4.4 billion, up 3.2 per cent.
8. Saputo family — Saputo Inc., Montreal; Net worth: $4.23 billion, down 2.7 per cent
9. Carlo Fidani — Orlando Corp., Toronto; Net worth: $3.6 billion, up 13.5 per cent
10. Chip Wilson — Lululemon Athletica Inc., Vancouver; Net worth: $3.51 billion, up 23 per cent.
For the complete list of the 100 richest Canadians, visit the website canadianbusiness.com /rich2012.
Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition December 29, 2012