Brandon’s Chris Bauman had never had a knee injury or a broken bone before in his CFL career. He never imagined he would suffer both in the same season.
In a terrible twist of fate, the 29-year-old receiver suffered a season-ending knee injury in practice Tuesday while preparing to finally make his season debut with the Calgary Stampeders this weekend after missing the first four months with a broken wrist.
An MRI confirmed Wednesday that Bauman had torn the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee and his season was officially over before it had even begun. On Thursday, the former Vincent Massey Vikings high school football standout was still coming to terms with the devastating news and what has become a lost season.
“You know, I kind of came to grips with it after my wrist and I made it through that and I was getting ready to play again and then this just took all the wind out of my sails,” Bauman said via telephone yesterday.
“I haven’t really come to grips with it yet. … Hopefully the team does well in the playoffs, and a Grey Cup would make it feel better.”
Earlier this week, Bauman was informed that he would be inserted into the lineup for Friday’s game against the B.C. Lions after returning to practice last week for the first time since being injured in training camp. But his knee gave out Tuesday on an innocent play as he was running a pass pattern in practice.
“I was just getting back into it and I was told I was up this week to play and then just before the end of practice my foot got stuck in the turf and I tore my ACL,” Bauman said. “The good thing is nothing else is torn, there is no cartilage damage or anything, so hopefully I can get surgery right away.”
The first overall pick in the 2007 CFL draft, Bauman’s seventh season in the league is now a complete writeoff and he faces a long, arduous off-season of rehabilitation to get his career back on track.
“They said it’s like eight to nine months of recovery,” said the 6-foot-4, 220-pound University of Regina alumnus, who had 141 catches for 1,855 yards and seven touchdowns over his previous six seasons in the CFL. “It can be a little sooner, but I’m not going to rush it, I am going to make sure I am good to go. So as soon as I am cleared to get the surgery, I will get it and it’s going to be a long off-season.”
Here’s hoping for a successful recovery for a guy who deserves a break.
THE SWEET SCIENCE:
Nothing is finalized yet, but Brandon boxer Noel Harding said it looks like a professional boxing card will finally come to the Wheat City in 2014.
Harding, the owner of the Brandon Boxing Club, said a local promoter has been approved by the Manitoba Combative Sports Commission to stage a card here in Brandon, one that Harding would likely fight on.
“It will be sometime over the winter … and we are looking at possibly having it in the main (Westman Place) arena, so that’s good.”
Harding has posted a 3-0 record as a pro boxer, following back-to-back first-round knockout victories south of the border in the last two months. A planned card recently fell through in Minot, N.D., but Harding hopes to return to the ring shortly to keep his run going.
“I want to fight in the next four to six weeks, as soon as I can,” said the 33-year-old middleweight. “I should have been doing this years ago, but didn’t have the opportunity and I seem to have it now and I want to take advantage of it and it’s going well.”
Meanwhile, Brandon pro mixed martial arts fighter Curtis (The Demon) DeMarce was supposed to fight in last Saturday’s Maximum Fighting Championship 38 in Edmonton, but the planned lightweight bout was scrapped after his opponent Alejandro Garcia failed to secure a travel visa.
The bout was going to be DeMarce’s first since serving a three-month suspension for fighting on an unsanctioned card earlier this year. The 25-year-old DeMarce, who sports a 13-10 pro record, remains in San Diego training and waiting for his next opportunity.
Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition October 11, 2013