Accessibility/Mobile Features
Skip Navigation
Skip to Content
Editorial News
Sports
Classified Sites

The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Aaron Hernandez challenges evidence in murder case; pleads not guilty in assault case

Terri Hernandez, mother of former New England Patriots NFL football player Aaron Hernandez, stands up at the conclusion of her son's hearing at the Bristol County Superior Court House, Monday, June 16, 2014, in Fall River, Mass. Aaron Hernandez's attorneys challenged the evidence in one of his murder cases, arguing at a pretrial hearing that prosecutors have not established probable cause in the fatal shooting of Odin Lloyd. (AP Photo/Faith Ninivaggi, Pool)

Enlarge Image

Terri Hernandez, mother of former New England Patriots NFL football player Aaron Hernandez, stands up at the conclusion of her son's hearing at the Bristol County Superior Court House, Monday, June 16, 2014, in Fall River, Mass. Aaron Hernandez's attorneys challenged the evidence in one of his murder cases, arguing at a pretrial hearing that prosecutors have not established probable cause in the fatal shooting of Odin Lloyd. (AP Photo/Faith Ninivaggi, Pool)

FALL RIVER, Mass. - Aaron Hernandez's attorneys on Monday sought to have a murder charge dismissed, saying prosecutors don't have enough evidence to tie the former New England Patriots' star to the murder of a semi-professional football player.

Prosecutors countered that they can show Hernandez was with Odin Lloyd when he was shot and that Lloyd's killing was part of a pattern of Hernandez committing acts of violence following nightclub disputes.

Also Monday, the former tight end pleaded not guilty to charges that he attacked a handcuffed inmate and threatened to kill a guard and his family while at a county jail in Dartmouth.

Hernandez faces murder charges in Lloyd's June 17, 2013, slaying, as well as a separate case in which he is accused of gunning down two men in Boston in July 2012. He has pleaded not guilty in each case and is being held without bail.

Judge E. Susan Garsh will rule at a later date on the motions to dismiss the Lloyd murder charge and to suppress certain evidence gathered by the state, including cellphone records and surveillance video from dozens of cameras at Hernandez's North Attleborough home.

The judge on Monday also floated a possible trial date of Oct. 6, and she set a July deadline for the New England Patriots to respond to the defence's requests for access to the football team's personnel records.

Hernandez defence attorney James Sultan called the prosecution's evidence "woefully lacking" and maintained that the state has yet to suggest a specific motive for Lloyd's killing.

"There's certainly a lot of what I would call smoke. No doubt about it," Sultan said. "But you can't throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and say, 'Well, that's good enough.' That's not probable cause that he committed the crime."

Prosecutor William McCauley countered that the state has "powerful" evidence against Hernandez.

In what amounted to a preview of the state's arguments, he said toll booth, surveillance, GPS and cellphone records clearly place Hernandez in the car with Lloyd at the time of his murder.

McCauley said the state's evidence also shows Hernandez had the "presence, knowledge and intent" to see the murder to its completion.

Prosecutors also suggested incidents in Boston, Providence and Miami show a "common pattern" of violence by Hernandez following disputes at nightclubs.

But Hernandez's lawyers pushed back against that notion, saying it was part of a persistent attempt to trash Hernandez's character. They criticized prosecutors for their focus on his "affinity for guns," his drug use and past run-ins with law enforcement.

Lloyd had been at a Boston nightclub with Hernandez and others days before his bullet-ridden body was found about a half mile from Hernandez's North Attleborough home.

Prosecutors in Boston have said a spilled drink in a nightclub led Hernandez to kill two people in a drive-by shooting.

Another Hernandez associate, Alexander Bradley, has filed a civil lawsuit alleging Hernandez shot him in the face on Feb. 13, 2013, after they argued following a visit to a Miami strip club.

Dressed in a blue blazer and khaki dress pants, Hernandez sat passively through Monday's nearly three-hour court hearing, one of the longest since his arrest last year.

His mother and other supporters sat in the audience, as did Lloyd's mother and others.

  • Rate this Rate This Star Icon
  • This article has not yet been rated.
  • We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high. If you thought it was well written, do the same. If it doesn’t meet your standards, mark it accordingly.

    You can also register and/or login to the site and join the conversation by leaving a comment.

    Rate it yourself by rolling over the stars and clicking when you reach your desired rating. We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high.

Sort by: Newest to Oldest | Oldest to Newest | Most Popular 0 Commentscomment icon

You can comment on most stories on brandonsun.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is register and/or login and you can join the conversation and give your feedback.

There are no comments at the moment. Be the first to post a comment below.

Post Your Commentcomment icon

Comment
  • You have characters left

The Brandon Sun does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. Comments are moderated before publication. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Brandon Sun Business Directory
Sudden Surge: Flood of 2014
Opportunity Magazine — The Bakken
Why Not Minot?
Welcome to Winnipeg

Social Media