The Suicide Prevention Implementation Network (SPIN) is hosting Edmonton’s Wade Sorochan, media personality, mental health advocate and author in Brandon in March. Sorochan’s title of his presentation and book is "Un-Social Media — Virtual World Causing Real World Anxiety."
He will be presenting two sessions at the City of Brandon Youth Centre, located at 638 Princess Ave.
First he will present on March 16 at 7 p.m. for the public. Then, on March 17 at 9 a.m. he will present for service providers and agencies.
This engaging and humorous presentation reveals how social media can cause feelings of sadness, loneliness, envy, resentment, low self-esteem, and anxiety and depression.
Some of the themes that will be touched on by Sorochan are:
• Important facts about mental illness
• Symptoms of "Social Media Anxiety Disorder"
• The latest social media trends raising concerns
• Tips for teens to help prevent cyberbullying
• How screen time affects sleep
• How smartphones can impair memory
• Tips to break social media and video game addiction
• Practicing online safety