Accessibility/Mobile Features
Skip Navigation
Skip to Content
Editorial News
Classified Sites

The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Former News of the World royal editor says he hacked Kate Middleton's phone 155 times

In this Friday, March 8, 2013 file photo, Clive Goodman, a former royal editor and reporter for the News of the World, arrives for a hearing at the Old Bailey court in London. The former royal editor of the News of the World says he hacked Kate Middleton’s phone 155 times, most recently on the day before he was arrested in 2006. Clive Goodman also told Britain’s phone hacking trial Wednesday that he eavesdropped on Prince William’s voicemails 35 times and Prince Harry’s nine times. Goodman was briefly jailed in 2007 for hacking the phones of royal aides, but he told the court police never asked him whether he had hacked members of the royal family. Earlier in the trial the jury was read transcripts of intercepted phone messages from the days when William and Kate were courting. Goodman and six others are on trial over wrongdoing at the now-defunct Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid. The defendants deny all the charges. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham, file)

Enlarge Image

In this Friday, March 8, 2013 file photo, Clive Goodman, a former royal editor and reporter for the News of the World, arrives for a hearing at the Old Bailey court in London. The former royal editor of the News of the World says he hacked Kate Middleton’s phone 155 times, most recently on the day before he was arrested in 2006. Clive Goodman also told Britain’s phone hacking trial Wednesday that he eavesdropped on Prince William’s voicemails 35 times and Prince Harry’s nine times. Goodman was briefly jailed in 2007 for hacking the phones of royal aides, but he told the court police never asked him whether he had hacked members of the royal family. Earlier in the trial the jury was read transcripts of intercepted phone messages from the days when William and Kate were courting. Goodman and six others are on trial over wrongdoing at the now-defunct Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid. The defendants deny all the charges. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham, file)

LONDON - The former royal editor of the News of the World said Wednesday that he repeatedly hacked the voicemails of Prince William, Prince Harry and Kate Middleton in the months before he was arrested for illegal eavesdropping in 2006.

Under cross examination at Britain's phone hacking trial, Clive Goodman acknowledged he had listened to Middleton's voicemails 155 times, Prince William's 35 times and Prince Harry's nine times.

Goodman was briefly jailed in 2007, along with private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, for hacking the phones of royal aides. But Goodman said police and prosecutors never asked him whether he had also targeted members of the royal family.

"I have been as open and honest about hacking as I can be, but nobody has asked me any questions about this before," said Goodman, 56.

Earlier in the trial the jury was read transcripts of intercepted phone messages between William and Kate from the days when they were courting. She became the Duchess of Cambridge when they married in 2011.

Goodman said Kate was first targeted in late 2005, when she was becoming "a figure of increasing importance around the royal family."

"There were discussions about her and Prince William marrying, moving in, settling down," he said. "She started to receive semi royal status and things were moving on."

Goodman and six others — including ex-News of the World editors Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson — are on trial over wrongdoing at Rupert Murdoch's British tabloids. Murdoch shut down the News of the World in 2011 after evidence emerged that its staff had hacked the phones of celebrities, politicians and even a kidnapped 13-year-old girl.

The defendants deny all the charges.

Goodman said Coulson was aware that he and Mulcaire were hacking phones — a claim Coulson denies.

"Glenn Mulcaire was such a valuable resource for the paper I had to tell him (Coulson), so I did," Goodman said.

Goodman returned to the witness box on Wednesday after a two-month break due to ill health. Judge John Saunders told the jury that a medical expert had declared the former journalist fit to continue giving evidence.

Goodman is not charged with hacking phones, but of conspiring to pay officials for royal phone directories.

  • Rate this Rate This Star Icon
  • This article has not yet been rated.
  • We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high. If you thought it was well written, do the same. If it doesn’t meet your standards, mark it accordingly.

    You can also register and/or login to the site and join the conversation by leaving a comment.

    Rate it yourself by rolling over the stars and clicking when you reach your desired rating. We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high.

Sort by: Newest to Oldest | Oldest to Newest | Most Popular 0 Commentscomment icon

You can comment on most stories on brandonsun.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is register and/or login and you can join the conversation and give your feedback.

There are no comments at the moment. Be the first to post a comment below.

Post Your Commentcomment icon

Comment
  • You have characters left

The Brandon Sun does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. Comments are moderated before publication. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Brandon Sun Business Directory
Sudden Surge: Flood of 2014
Opportunity Magazine — The Bakken
Why Not Minot?
Welcome to Winnipeg

Social Media