Accessibility/Mobile Features
Skip Navigation
Skip to Content
Editorial News
Classified Sites

The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Investigators recover more human remains from Ukraine plane disaster site

A Ukrainian government army soldier rests on his tank at a block-post in the village of Debaltseve, eastern Ukraine Friday, Aug. 1, 2014. With the sound of artillery blasts at a distance, dozens of international investigators arrived Friday at the eastern Ukraine site where Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 crashed and began a painstaking search for the remains of as many as 80 victims. (AP Photo/Dmitry Lovetsky)

Enlarge Image

A Ukrainian government army soldier rests on his tank at a block-post in the village of Debaltseve, eastern Ukraine Friday, Aug. 1, 2014. With the sound of artillery blasts at a distance, dozens of international investigators arrived Friday at the eastern Ukraine site where Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 crashed and began a painstaking search for the remains of as many as 80 victims. (AP Photo/Dmitry Lovetsky)

AMSTERDAM - Investigators using sniffer dogs recovered more human remains and personal belongings at the Malaysia Airlines wreckage site in eastern Ukraine on Saturday, the head of an international recovery mission said.

Speaking from the Ukrainian capital Kyiv, Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg said 70 Dutch and Australian investigators were able to reach the site for the second consecutive day, despite clashes between pro-Russia separatist rebels and Ukrainian forces nearby.

Flight 17 was shot down above the village of Hrabove July 17 with what the West says was a Russian-made missile fired by the rebels, killing all 298 passengers and crew, most of them Dutch.

Aalbersberg did not give details of the remains recovered. His team is searching for decomposing remains of approximately 80 victims spread over an area of 8 square miles (20 square kilometres) — a process expected to take weeks.

He thanked the warring sides for allowing the mission to proceed, after being delayed most of the week by fighting.

"This is of great importance to the international police officers, the experts and, especially, the victims' families," he said.

Remains are being transferred by refrigerated truck to a facility in Kharkiv, where they can be examined by Dutch, Malaysian and Australian forensic experts.

They will then be sent on to the Netherlands, to join more than 200 bodies that were collected and transferred in an initial haphazard effort overseen by the rebels. Those remains are now being painstakingly identified.

Aalbersberg said his team had been able to search a greater area on Saturday, despite hearing sounds of mortar fire in the distance as they worked.

Friday and Saturday's search focused on the area around a chicken farm near the village of Grabovo, but that phase of the operation is now complete, Aalbersberg said.

"Tomorrow our goal is to move the search to an area northeast of the village of Rozsypne, where pieces of wreckage from the aircraft have been found," he said.

He added he hopes to expand his team to a full strength of 100 by Monday.

In Moscow, Russia's Foreign Ministry accused the European Union on Saturday of withdrawing a ban on supplying Ukraine with military technology and equipment "on the quiet," but the EU says it announced the move openly — two weeks ago.

The EU decided at the height of violence in Kyiv between government forces and protesters to ban the export for goods that can be used for "repression," such as riot gear, tear gas and police batons.

That measure was lifted on July 16, said EU spokesman Michael Mann.

On that day, the EU's news release noted in a section on Ukraine: "Member states also agreed to discontinue the application of their agreement of 20 February 2014 on export licenses."

The West has rejected Russia's denials that it has supplied tanks, armoured personnel carriers, rockets and other equipment to rebels in eastern Ukraine.

Ukraine has complained that its forces have been attacked by weapons based on the Russian side of the border, while the Russian ministry on Saturday renewed its claims that Ukrainian forces had fired over the border at targets in Russia.

___

Juergen Baetz in Brussels contributed to this report.

  • Rate this Rate This Star Icon
  • This article has not yet been rated.
  • We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high. If you thought it was well written, do the same. If it doesn’t meet your standards, mark it accordingly.

    You can also register and/or login to the site and join the conversation by leaving a comment.

    Rate it yourself by rolling over the stars and clicking when you reach your desired rating. We want you to tell us what you think of our articles. If the story moves you, compels you to act or tells you something you didn’t know, mark it high.

Sort by: Newest to Oldest | Oldest to Newest | Most Popular 0 Commentscomment icon

You can comment on most stories on brandonsun.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is register and/or login and you can join the conversation and give your feedback.

There are no comments at the moment. Be the first to post a comment below.

Post Your Commentcomment icon

Comment
  • You have characters left

The Brandon Sun does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. Comments are moderated before publication. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Brandon Sun Business Directory
The First World War at 100

Social Media