September 24, 2017

Brandon
9° C, Overcast

Full Forecast

Subscriber Notice. Click for more details...

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Spruce Woods campground may finally re-open this summer after 2011 floods

More than two years after devastating floods washed through the lower Kiche Manitou campground at Spruce Woods Provincial Park, the province hopes to have it open by the Canada Day long weekend.

A one-in-300-year flood devastated the campground in 2011, as it lay under more than three metres of water for weeks.

Although much of the provincial park was patched up in time for some use the next year, work is still being done at the lower-level campsites, which were affected the most.

However, in an announcement today, Conservation and Water Stewardship Minister Gord Mackintosh said that the Kiche Manitou campground should be open June 28.

Subscribers Log in below to continue reading,
not a subscriber? Create an account to start a 30 day free trial.

Log in Create your account

Add a payment method

To read the remaining 138 words of this article.

Pay only 27¢ for articles you wish to read.

Hope you enjoyed your trial.

Add a payment method

To read the remaining 138 words of this article.

Pay only 27¢ for articles you wish to read.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/5/2013 (1592 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

More than two years after devastating floods washed through the lower Kiche Manitou campground at Spruce Woods Provincial Park, the province hopes to have it open by the Canada Day long weekend.

A one-in-300-year flood devastated the campground in 2011, as it lay under more than three metres of water for weeks.

This photo released by the province on Sunday shows the flood waters in Spruce Woods Provincial Park south of Carberry in 2011.

PHOTO COURTESY OF PROVINCE OF MANITOBA

This photo released by the province on Sunday shows the flood waters in Spruce Woods Provincial Park south of Carberry in 2011.

Although much of the provincial park was patched up in time for some use the next year, work is still being done at the lower-level campsites, which were affected the most.

However, in an announcement today, Conservation and Water Stewardship Minister Gord Mackintosh said that the Kiche Manitou campground should be open June 28.

In March, the province announced that the park as a whole will get a $20-million facelift over the next eight years. Included will be a new access road, a new campground office, a central shower and laundry building for campers and further flood prevention measures.

Closer to the plan’s completion date of 2020, the park will have 60 new electrical and full-service campsites and a new lagoon.

Manitobans were also reminded today that the May long weekend will be liquor free in all campgrounds,
group-use areas and yurts, as well as cabins at Camp Morton and Hecla/Grindstone provincial parks.

Approximately 30,000 campsites have been booked through the made-in-Manitoba Parks Reservation Service so far this year, but many camping opportunities remain available at campgrounds across the province throughout the season. To make a reservation, visit manitobaparks.com.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

The Brandon Sun is not accepting comments on this story.

Why aren't comments accepted on this story? See our Commenting Terms and Conditions.