This Week On Campus — May 23, 2023
Read this article for free:
Already have an account? Log in here »
We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!
As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.
Now, more than ever, we need your support.
Starting at $14.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.Subscribe Now
or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.
Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!
• Brandon University will host Alumni Night at Black Wheat Brewing on Thursday, from 5 to 7 p.m. Come to Black Wheat to join fellow alumni, catch up and remember your BU experiences.
• Will Mousseau, who made the new ceremonial eagle staff for BU’s convocation ceremonies, will speak at a Teachings House event on May 29. The talk will take place from 1:30 to 3 p.m. in He Oyate Tawapi Ceremony Room and will also be available online. The eagle staff includes various natural elements that are meaningful to both the university and the local Indigenous communities. More information on the event is available at BrandonU.ca/Indigenous/Gatherings.
• This year’s convocation ceremonies will take place on June 1 and 2 at the Healthy Living Centre. There will be four ceremonies, with science and music graduates receiving their degrees on June 1 at 10 a.m., followed by education in the 2 p.m. event. On June 2, health studies will be up first, at 10 a.m., followed by arts at 2 p.m.
• Registration is open for Mini University. Weekly day camps for children from kindergarten to Grade 8 will take place from July 4 to Aug. 25. More information is available at MiniU.BrandonU.ca. Bobcat basketball and volleyball summer camps will take place from July 31 to Sept. 1. Camps are available for youth from grades 4 to 12. More information can be found at GoBobcats.ca.
• Do you know of BU alumni who have done great things since graduation? Someone who has helped their community? Gone above and beyond in their career? We want to hear about them! Nominations are open until June 1 for the Alumni Awards. More information is available at BrandonU.ca/Alumni/Awards.
» Rob Henderson
ASSINIBOINE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
• The Assiniboine Alumni Association is looking forward to reconnecting with the college’s retiree community at the first ever retiree barbecue on June 20. If you’re a retiree of Assiniboine Community College and want more information, contact Lisa Huston at email@example.com or call 204-725-8700, ext 7124.
• Save the date for June graduation in Brandon — June 16 (for graduates of all other campuses and of distance education and apprenticeship programs that graduate Nov. 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023). Find out more at assiniboine.net/grad.
• Tell us your story! Since 1976, Assiniboine has delivered agriculture and environment programming to its communities, resulting in an alumni group that spans the globe — and we want to hear from them. As the college approaches the 50th anniversary of training skilled workers for this dynamic industry, it’s putting the call out to its alumni from the Russ Edwards School of Agriculture to reconnect and share their stories. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to share yours or to find out more information.
• Join us for one of our free online information sessions designed to give you the inside scoop on our college, our programs and life at Assiniboine. Register in advance and from the comfort of your own home, log in to learn what Assiniboine has to offer. Visit assiniboine.net/infosession to register.
• Are you an Assiniboine alumnus or alumna and interested in volunteer opportunities with the Alumni Association? The alumni relations office and the association’s board of directors work toward co-ordinating initiatives and activities that focus on increasing meaningful alumni engagement with the college. For more information, contact Lisa at email@example.com.
• Do you know an outstanding Assiniboine alumnus or alumna who is making an outstanding impact in their chosen profession, community and/or the Assiniboine student experience? If so, consider nominating them for one of the three annual Alumni Awards. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
» Shaun Cameron