Father charged in infant’s 2016 death


Advertise with us

Manitoba RCMP have made an arrest in connection with the death of two-month-old Haelin Taliyah Taylor seven years ago in a case of possible “shaken baby syndrome.”

Read this article for free:


Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $14.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

Manitoba RCMP have made an arrest in connection with the death of two-month-old Haelin Taliyah Taylor seven years ago in a case of possible “shaken baby syndrome.”

Police announced Tuesday they had arrested Taylor’s father, Keifer Mecas, who was living in Brandon, and charged him with manslaughter. Police say he was released to appear in court on March 6. The charges against him haven’t been proven in court.

On Tuesday, RCMP Sgt. Paul Manaigre said the case may be one of “shaken baby syndrome,” as he believed one of the investigators at the time of Taylor’s death had identified it as such.

A Dakota Ojibway Police Service vehicle sits outside a home surrounded by police tape at Sioux Valley Dakota Nation in January 2016, shortly after the death of two-month-old Haelin Taliyah Taylor. On Tuesday, RCMP announced they had arrested a man who is charged with manslaughter in connection with Taylor's death. (File)

Manaigre said he believes that remains the case as he hadn’t been provided updated information regarding the manner of death.

At the time of the incident, RCMP stated that on Jan. 4, 2016, Virden RCMP had received a report of a seriously injured two-month-old girl near Sioux Valley Dakota Nation.

Police said they were en route when they were notified the child had been taken to a local hospital, then transported to a Winnipeg hospital, where she was in critical condition.

The next day, police could be seen at a Sioux Valley bungalow that had been cordoned off with yellow police tape as part of the investigation.

According to her obituary, Taylor died Jan. 23, 2016 at the Children’s Hospital in Winnipeg, and her funeral was held at the Sioux Valley Veterans’ Hall five days later. She was to be interred at the Sioux Valley Catholic Cemetery.

Three days following Taylor’s death, police disclosed the case was being investigated by the Manitoba RCMP Serious Crimes Unit as a homicide.

However, a woman who identified herself as a relative of Taylor told the Sun the incident had been “blown out of proportion,” suggesting the child’s condition was a result of a medical condition.

In the Tuesday release announcing Mecas’ arrest, RCMP say they received new information last April that advanced the investigation and resulted in the manslaughter charge. Manaigre declined to reveal what that new information was.


Report Error Submit a Tip


Advertise With Us