Daughter on Call has been fined more than $5,000 for failing to comply with a public emergency health order.
According to a list of Manitoba Health protection reports, the Brandon-based home-care organization received two separate fines, both for $2,542.
The first fine was issued on May 15 against one of the organization’s residential care homes in Brandon. The fine is for failing to comply with the public emergency health order, "namely direction given to take immediate and adequate precautions to control or minimize the risk of transmission of a communicable disease."
The second fine was issued on May 21 against a Daughter on Call residential care home in Carberry. According to the provincial list, which is published online, the fine was issued for failing to comply with a May 14 Medical Officer of Health’s health hazard order.
Daughter on Call CEO and owner Gail Freeman-Campbell could not be reached for more details Friday afternoon.
A spokesperson for Manitoba Health also declined to provide more information on the incidents when reached Friday afternoon.
"Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living continues to work with the organization on compliance and no further details will be provided at this time," the spokesperson said in an email.
Under the provincial public health order, businesses can be fined $2,542 for breaking COVID-19-related public health measures while individuals can be fined $486.
Brandon police Sgt. Bruce Verhelst said Brandon police were called to 138 27th St., where Daughter on Call runs a personal care home called The Nest, on May 15. He said police "assisted public health there, just as a standby," but didn’t have any more details.
On Wednesday, the Sun reported that a health-care aide at the Brandon-based organization that cares for seniors and runs personal care homes had tested positive for COVID-19 on May 10. Another staff member tested negative for the virus after coming into contact with the person who was ill at a private residence.
In three phone calls with The Brandon Sun on Friday of last week and Tuesday, Freeman-Campbell repeatedly denied a Daughter on Call employee had tested positive for COVID-19, despite the Sun having evidence to the contrary in the form of internal memos sent to staff as well as anonymous former and now-former employees speaking out.
On Wednesday afternoon, Freeman-Campbell said she had denied the case in an effort to protect the sick employee’s confidentiality.
On May 14, the province announced it was stepping up enforcement of public health orders, a framework dubbed Operation Safe Apart. It includes recruiting volunteers to help with public awareness and giving hundreds of provincial personnel authority to enforce COVID-related public health orders and issue tickets for non-compliance.
The roster includes safety and health officers under the Workplace Safety and Health Act, Liquor Gaming and Cannabis Control Act inspectors, public health officers, park patrol officers, and Manitoba Agriculture and Resource Development public health officers (food safety and animal health inspectors, and animal protection officers).
Municipal police, First Nations police and RCMP officers can also enforce public health orders.
» Twitter: @DrewMay_