Close

Sun Burst for April 08, 2021

A FRIENDLY REMINDER
A pedestrian walks past a masked statue outside Inspire Studio Art Gallery in Minnedosa on Tuesday.  (Tim Smith/The Brandon Sun)

A FRIENDLY REMINDER A pedestrian walks past a masked statue outside Inspire Studio Art Gallery in Minnedosa on Tuesday. (Tim Smith/The Brandon Sun)


Top Stories

  • Budget focused on tax cuts, COVID: Anticipating a $1.6-billion deficit this year amid a global pandemic, the Progressive Conservatives are cutting taxes by $200 million, most of which is in the form of a hefty rebate to homeowners and farmers on their education levies.
  • Residents air concerns on mining application: RIVERS — The Riverdale Municipality hosted a public hearing Tuesday evening to gauge residents’ reaction to an application for a conditional-use order that would allow Western Asphalt Products to set up aggregate mining operations just south of town.
  • Chorney's parents, sister testify at hearing: The murder of 18-year-old Erin Chorney by Michael Bridges in 2002 was a Brandon family’s worst nightmare and her loss is still felt today, a Brandon courtroom heard on Wednesday.

Weather

  • THURSDAY: Sunny during the day with a high of 17 C. Clear overnight and a low of 2 C.
  • FRIDAY: Mix of sun and cloud during the day with a high of 12 C. Clear overnight and a low of -4 C.
  • SATURDAY: Sunny during the day with a high of 15 C. Cloudy overnight, 60 per cent chance of showers or flurries and a low of -3 C. 
  • SUNDAY: Cloudy during the day with a 40 per cent chance of showers and a high of 6 C. Cloudy overnight with a 60 per cent chance of rain or flurries and a low of -6 C.

Looking Back

  • FIFTY YEARS AGO: Premier Ed Schreyer said his NDP government intends to negotiate with Ottawa on the possible introduction in Manitoba of the first phases of a guaranteed annual income.
  • FORTY YEARS AGO: The provincial opposition is again calling for debt moratorium legislation for farmers after the two-day dust storm that lifted topsoil from fields throughout Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
  • THIRTY YEARS AGO: Hundreds of sailors were enjoying their first day home with their families today after three Canadian warships returned to an emotional welcome from the Persian Gulf.
  • TWENTY YEARS AGO: The Shilo Military Family Resource Centre has been chosen as this year’s recipient of the Lieutenant Governor’s Medal for Literacy. The centre was selected for its Parent and Child Early Literacy and Deployment Program, the first family literacy program on a Canadian Forces base.
  • TEN YEARS AGO: The wheels are finally turning on a pledge by the provincial government to study the potential for a medical school in rural Manitoba. Nearly three years after the buzz first began about the idea of a medical school based at Brandon University, the province yesterday committed $350,000 to facilitate a feasibility study on the idea and announced the study’s full committee.

Today's front page

  • Get the full story: Read today's e-edition of The Brandon Sun

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Advertisement

Advertise With Us