The "careless discard of cigarette and cigarette material" is believed to have caused the July 28 house fire at 451 Third St.
Brandon Fire and Emergency Services acting Capt. Shayne Collister said that the afternoon blaze, which caused an estimated $80,000 in damages, started on a third-floor wooden fire escape.
A discarded cigarette ignited debris, which made its way into an open window as it got rolling, spreading through the third-floor kitchen and roof space.
As previously reported by The Sun, smoke could be seen pouring out of the Queen Anne-style home’s second storey as firefighters hosed off the building from the back alley.
Collister said that a 10-member crew tended to the fire, which he described as a standard call for the department.
All residents of the four-suite building were evacuated either before firefighters arrived on site, or shortly thereafter.
Brandon Police Service members also knocked on doors to ensure everyone was out of the building.
No injuries were reported.
According to Heritage Brandon’s website, the building was constructed in 1907 and its first owner was Alfred R. McDiarmid, who later became mayor of Brandon in 1919.
The building should be salvageable, Collister said, adding that the investigation into the fire has been closed.
» The Brandon Sun