Eviction warnings handed to longtime Manitoba legislature encampments

Advertisement

Advertise with us

WINNIPEG - Eviction warnings have been given to two longtime encampments on the Manitoba legislature grounds.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

No thanks

*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.00 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.00 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/08/2022 (1285 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

WINNIPEG – Eviction warnings have been given to two longtime encampments on the Manitoba legislature grounds.

A handful of police were present Wednesday as the notices were given to demonstrators on the north and east sides of the legislative building.

A statement from Justice Minister Kelvin Goertzen’s office said rallies and protests are acceptable on the grounds.

An encampment on the front lawn of the Manitoba legislature building as shown on Wednesday Aug. 17, 2022 in Winnipeg. A handful of police were present as eviction notices were given to demonstrators on the north and east sides of the legislative building Wednesday morning. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Kelly Malone
An encampment on the front lawn of the Manitoba legislature building as shown on Wednesday Aug. 17, 2022 in Winnipeg. A handful of police were present as eviction notices were given to demonstrators on the north and east sides of the legislative building Wednesday morning. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Kelly Malone

But, the statement said, encampments are not permitted for the safety of staff, visitors, tourists and other protesters.

The move comes after the Progressive Conservative government passed legislation earlier this year to deal with the encampments.

It gives cabinet authority to determine what can and cannot occur on the legislature grounds, which includes banning encampments, vandalism and vehicle blockades.

It also bans setting fires, brandishing weapons, as well as depositing generators, firewood or other items to support an encampment.

“Those regulations bring Manitoba in line with other jurisdictions across Canada, regardless of political stripe,” the statement from Goertzen’s office said.

Manitoba Justice officials are the lead on all interactions with the encampments, the statement said. Winnipeg police said officers were assisting the province.

The government did not indicate how long the encampments had to leave the area.

One of the encampments that received notice has been in place for more than a year and includes several tents, flags and other structures. It was set up after the discovery of possible unmarked graves at the sites of former residential schools.

A second encampment popped up around June and includes a large teepee on the front lawn. It had previously been associated with nearby parked vehicles that had messages opposing COVID-19 public health restrictions posted on them.

Last summer, a statue of Queen Victoria was knocked down and beheaded during a Canada Day demonstration following the discovery of the graves. A Queen Elizabeth statue was also toppled.

Earlier this year, protesters opposing COVID-19 restrictions also blocked off the streets in front of the legislature for nearly three weeks.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 17, 2022.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD MORE