Grim Acres to haunt no more

Advertisement

Advertise with us

A Halloween tradition that Brandonites have come to look forward to every year is shutting down for good.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

No thanks

*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.00 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.00 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/08/2022 (1273 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A Halloween tradition that Brandonites have come to look forward to every year is shutting down for good.

Amber and Brian Sutherland, owners of the Grim Acres haunted maze and yard, located on Highway 1A toward Kemnay, announced on Friday they have made the “very difficult” decision to end their “Scare Away Cancer” haunted event, citing a “financial burden” and that the “mental, physical and health” requirements needed to run the event were “no longer feasible” for them to continue.

“Therefore, we are ceasing operations and will be permanently closing the Grim Acres Scare Away Cancer Halloween Haunt, effective immediately,” their post said.

Visitors explore the Grim Acres Scare Away Cancer fundraising haunted attractions at sunsetin 2019. (FILE/The Brandon Sun)
Visitors explore the Grim Acres Scare Away Cancer fundraising haunted attractions at sunsetin 2019. (FILE/The Brandon Sun)

The Scare Away Cancer fundraiser had been growing each year, according to its website, with more and more props added to increase the “scare factor.” All of the proceeds from the event went to the Canadian Cancer Society.

“We work feverishly for months, putting in nearly 1,000 hours to put this event on for the whole community to enjoy,” the website says.

Features that Grim Acres has put on in the past include the Awakening, an abandoned 1,400-square-foot house featuring three floors; CarnEVIL, an indoor, kid-friendly carnival; Phobia, a 1,400-square-foot blackout maze; Beyond Darkness, a 3,000-square-foot pole barn divided into 13 theme rooms and a snack shack.

The Sutherlands, who started Grim Acres in 2010, said in the Facebook post that they extend “heartfelt thanks” for many years of support and generosity from the community.

“We feel deeply thankful for all you have done for us. The memories you have given us fills us with continued joy and will last us a lifetime!”

The couple thanked their “many dedicated sponsors” for their help and generous donations over the years, and their volunteers that helped to contribute to Grim Acres Haunt’s success.

“We could not have done it without you.”

More than $130,000 was raised and donated to the Canadian Cancer Society through Grim Acres, which has gone on to support programs aimed at providing help and inspiration for Canadians in their fight against cancer.

The Sutherlands added that they will continue their fundraising efforts through “other events” they plan on having at “various venues” in Brandon in the future.

Creepy props dot the landscape at Grim Acres haunted acreage south of Kemnay, MB in this file image.  (Tim Smith/The Brandon Sun)
Creepy props dot the landscape at Grim Acres haunted acreage south of Kemnay, MB in this file image. (Tim Smith/The Brandon Sun)

“Stay tuned for details!”

The Sutherlands will also remain actively involved in their Superheroes Against Cancer Alliance outreach programs, and will also be looking into “possibly having movie under the stars type fundraising events” as well.

A yard sale is planned on Sept. 24-25 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the former Phobia/CarnEVIL haunt at Grim Acres. The couple said they will be selling off all of their props, costumes and Halloween decor at “fair market closeout pricing.”

» mleybourne@brandonsun.com

»Twitter: @miraleybourne

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD MORE