Local Roundup — Sept. 1, 2022
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!
As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.
Now, more than ever, we need your support.
Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.
Subscribe Nowor call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.
Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.00 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.00 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 01/09/2022 (1270 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
NDP acclaims Turtle Mountain candidate
The Manitoba NDP have another Westman candidate for next year’s provincial election.
Lorna Canada Vanegas-Mesa was acclaimed as the candidate for Turtle Mountain on Aug. 28, according to a release issued by the party’s constituency executive earlier this week.
Vanegas-Mesa told the Sun earlier this year her interest in running for politics was sparked by campaigning with federal Brandon-Souris NDP candidate Whitney Hodgins in 2021.
Vanegas-Mesa is chair of the psychiatric nursing program at Brandon University.
She joins Brandon East NDP candidate Glen Simard for the party’s 2023 campaign.
Man stabbed in street fight
Two men were treated at the Brandon Regional Health Centre Tuesday evening for injuries they received during a street fight in the 600 block of Rosser Avenue.
Police responded to reports of the brawl involving five or so people around 8:30 p.m., although most of the participants had already fled the scene by the time officers arrived.
However, two of the men involved were transported to hospital because of the injuries they sustained during the fight with. One of the males received a minor stab wound.
Since none of the witnesses or victims involved in the incident have co-operated with investigators, the Brandon Police Service said in a Wednesday media release the investigation has come to a standstill.
Anyone with information on any unsolved crime is still asked to contact Brandon Crime Stoppers by calling 204-727-8477 (TIPS), visiting brandoncrimestoppers.com or texting BCSTIP and your message to CRIMES (274637).
Crime Stoppers pays up to $2,000 cash for information that leads to the solution of a crime.
Man accused of pulling fire alarm
An 18-year-old man is scheduled to appear in court this fall after he triggered a fire alarm at a downtown business on Monday, which caused unnecessary panic since there was no fire or emergency.
Security footage from the business, located on the 800 block of Rosser Avenue, helped police identify the suspect, who was located and arrested the next day.
He was released from custody and is scheduled to appear in court Oct. 20. He is charged with illegal use of a fire alarm.
Kelwood rink receives funding
The Rural Municipality of Rosedale, located northeast of Brandon, is receiving an unspecified amount of funding from the federal and provincial governments for its Kelwood Community Skating Rink project, ministers announced Wednesday.
The funding will support the completion of the skating rink, including new plumbing, electrical, flooring and heating system installations as well as a kitchen and washroom. Finishing touches outside will include landscaping and parking lot resurfacing, according to a joint government press release.
Dan Vandal, federal minister of northern affairs who is also responsible for Prairie Economic Development Canada, and Reg Helwer, Manitoba’s labour, consumer protection and government services minister, announced a total of $13 million for recreation facilities in five Manitoba communities.
Other recipients include God’s Lake Narrows First Nation as well as the rural municipalities of Headingley, St. Clements and Ritchot.
Ottawa is contributing more than $9.8 million through the Investing in Canada Infrastructure program’s Community, Culture and Recreation Infrastructure Stream and Rural and Northern Communities Infrastructure Stream.
The Manitoba government is investing more than $3.1 million. First Nation and municipal contributions total more than $4.6 million toward eligible project costs, the press release stated.
» The Brandon Sun