Independent report into Quebec Liberal vote-buying allegations due in January 2026
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!
As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.
Now, more than ever, we need your support.
Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.
Subscribe Nowor call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.
Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.00 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.00 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
QUÉBEC – The Quebec Liberal Party says a retired judge hired to investigate allegations of cash payments during the party’s leadership race will have to submit a report by the end of January 2026.
The party’s executive signed off on the independent investigation mandate given to retired judge Jacques R. Fournier, a former chief justice of the Quebec Superior Court, who will look at whether payments intended to influence votes were made, identifying individuals and amounts involved and the number of votes concerned.
In an article published last week, the Journal de Montréal revealed alleged text messages involving unidentified parties suggesting that members who supported Leader Pablo Rodriguez during the race received cash rewards.
On Wednesday, Quebec’s anticorruption police, known as UPAC, said they were also verifying information regarding the allegations dogging the Quebec Liberals before deciding whether to pursue a full investigation.
The Quebec Liberals have been mired in crisis since Marwah Rizqy, the former parliamentary leader, dismissed her chief of staff, Geneviève Hinse, a close associate of Rodriguez, without consulting him, leading to Rizqy’s suspension from caucus.
In a news release Friday, party president Rafael P. Ferraro reiterated Rodriguez’s commitment to making the Fournier report public.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 29, 2025.