Worker dies at Suncor oilsands site after machinery sinks into muskeg
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!
As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.
Now, more than ever, we need your support.
Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.
Subscribe Nowor call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.
Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.00 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.00 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
FORT MCMURRAY – Alberta Occupational Health and Safety is investigating the death of a worker at an oilsands mine north of Fort McMurray.
The provincial government says the worker was inside a piece of equipment last week when it became submerged in muskeg.
Suncor Energy Inc. says the contractor had been operating heavy machinery near a water body at its Fort Hills oilsands site.
As of last week, the person was unaccounted for and recovery efforts were underway.
Neither the company nor OH&S provided an update Thursday on the efforts to retrieve the worker’s remains.
Suncor says the investigation is early and ongoing, but there are indications it may have been the result of a medical event.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 22, 2026.
Companies in this story: (TSX:SU)