RCMP continue careful recovery of sunken fishing charter in B.C. waters
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!
As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.
Now, more than ever, we need your support.
Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.
Subscribe Nowor call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.
Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
- Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
*Your next Free Press subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
RICHMOND, BRITISH COLUMBIA – Mounties say raising a sunken fishing charter in the Straight of Georgia near Richmond, B.C., where six people are presumed drowned, needs to be done carefully as the vessel is considered evidence in their investigation.
Police say it’s unclear if any victims remain within the vessel, which sits on the ocean floor about 150 metres below the ocean surface.
A statement from the RCMP issued Friday says witness accounts indicate that more people than the four recovered were in the water when the boat sank on June 28.
Ten people were aboard the vessel when it went down and four people were rescued, but one died later in hospital.
The statement says RCMP and partner agencies are “actively assessing and pursuing available options and strategies to facilitate the safe and successful recovery of the vessel.”
A second boat with the company, Top Vancouver Fishing Charter, was ordered detained by Transport Canada after the sinking, citing violations or safety deficiencies, including that a pleasure craft was being operated as a commercial passenger vessel.
The mother and girlfriend of the captain of the sunken charter, Chen Ming, told The Canadian Press that he had complained to them of a broken side door on the boat before in went down.
Police said earlier this month that searchers used an underwater drone to locate the vessel but no bodies were seen.
Those missing were aged between 22 and 33.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 31, 2026.