Saskatchewan store accused of making foreign workers pay in order to work for it

Advertisement

Advertise with us

SWIFT CURRENT - A Saskatchewan employer and company are facing charges for allegedly making two foreign workers pay to work for them.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

*Your next Free Press subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

SWIFT CURRENT – A Saskatchewan employer and company are facing charges for allegedly making two foreign workers pay to work for them.

Saskatchewan’s immigration ministry says a numbered company and the owner who runs the Husky Travel Centre in Swift Current are each facing eight charges.

The charges include taking unfair advantage of a foreign national’s trust and charging a fee or expense to a foreign worker for employment.

The Saskatchewan provincial flag flies on a flagpole in Ottawa, Friday, July 24, 2026 in Ottawa.  THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
The Saskatchewan provincial flag flies on a flagpole in Ottawa, Friday, July 24, 2026 in Ottawa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

The ministry says the alleged offences happened between September 2023 and August 2025.

The owner is expected to appear in court Wednesday in Swift Current. The Canadian Press has contacted a lawyer who says they’re representing the owner, but was not immediately able to get a response.

Of the eight charges that the company and its ownership are each facing, half are being laid under updated provincial legislation on immigration that was passed in 2024.

Under the new legislation, the court can impose heftier penalties compared with convictions before it was put into law.

Last week, Dhyan Jeny Enterprises, operating as Guac Mexi Grill in Moose Jaw, Sask., pleaded guilty to charging a foreign worker a fee or expense for employment. 

In that case, the court imposed $7,000 in fines and ordered them to pay back the worker $12,000. 

Bhavan Jaggi, a Regina-based lawyer who represented Dhyan Jeny in the case, said Dhyan Jeny plans not to take on foreign workers in the future and that the company will comply with restrictions from its franchisor.

In an emailed statement, the Guac Mexi Grill franchisor said it takes the well-being of employees in its franchise network seriously. 

It says franchisees are expected to uphold company standards.

“We are reviewing the matter in the context of our franchise agreement and will determine the appropriate actions available to us,” the email said.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 18, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

National

LOAD NATIONAL ARTICLES