Manitoba property owner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Advertisement

Advertise with us

DUFFERIN, MAN. - A homeowner in southern Manitoba is facing charges after Mounties say he shot at a group of people accused of stealing from his rural property.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

*Your next Free Press subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

DUFFERIN, MAN. – A homeowner in southern Manitoba is facing charges after Mounties say he shot at a group of people accused of stealing from his rural property.

Officers were called Saturday to a theft in the rural municipality of Dufferin, about 96 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg.

RCMP say four people went to the property earlier in the day and returned at night in two stolen vehicles.

The RCMP logo is seen on the shoulder of a superintendent during a news conference, Saturday, June 24, 2023 in St. John's, N.L. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
The RCMP logo is seen on the shoulder of a superintendent during a news conference, Saturday, June 24, 2023 in St. John's, N.L. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

They say the property owner, a 66-year-old man, was alerted by a motion camera and saw someone pouring fuel into one of the vehicles.

The owner allegedly confronted them and shot at the vehicles.

The property owner is facing six charges, including careless use of a firearm, while two men and a woman are facing theft-related offences. 

The accused thieves remained at the scene when officers arrived, RCMP said in a news release Tuesday.

They were taken into custody and various items believed to be stolen from the property were found in the back of a vehicle. A fourth suspect got away in the second vehicle, which was found abandoned in a canola field a few kilometres away.

RCMP said Canadians can take reasonable steps to protect themselves or their property, but “any force used must be reasonable and proportionate in the circumstances, including the nature of the threat.”

“We recognize that having someone enter your property and steal belongings is a serious criminal offence that can have a lasting impact,” the  news release said. “However, intervening directly can create significant risks to all involved.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 18, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

National

LOAD NATIONAL ARTICLES