Manitoba government has no plan to lift ban on U.S. alcohol sales: Premier Kinew

Advertisement

Advertise with us

WINNIPEG - Manitoba residents looking to buy a bottle of their favourite American-made liquor will have to keep searching.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

No thanks

*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.00 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.00 plus GST every four weeks.

WINNIPEG – Manitoba residents looking to buy a bottle of their favourite American-made liquor will have to keep searching.

Premier Wab Kinew says his province has no plan to ease its ban on the sale of American alcohol. 

Several provinces, including Manitoba, pulled American booze from shelves in response to tariffs imposed on Canadian goods by U.S. President Donald Trump.

A sign is placed in front of the American whiskey section at a B.C. liquor store after top-selling American products were being removed from shelves in Vancouver, B.C., on Sunday, Feb. 2, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Cairns
A sign is placed in front of the American whiskey section at a B.C. liquor store after top-selling American products were being removed from shelves in Vancouver, B.C., on Sunday, Feb. 2, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Cairns

Nova Scotia announced earlier this week it would sell off its remaining stock of U.S. liquor beginning Monday and donate the proceeds to charity food organizations.

Kinew says it “makes sense” for the province to consider a similar approach.

He says the prohibition hasn’t gone unnoticed by the Trump administration, and keeping American booze off shelves could convince the president to back off on tariffs.

“This is one of the tools that we’ve used that’s actually gotten the attention of the Trump administration,” Kinew told a news conference Friday. “So in order to push back against Donald Trump’s tariffs, keeping the American booze off the shelves is good.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 29, 2025.

— By Aaron Sousa in Edmonton

Report Error Submit a Tip

Business

LOAD MORE