Man accused of ‘vicious’ domestic assault denied bail

Advertisement

Advertise with us

A Brandon judge rejected a former Rolling River First Nation resident’s bail application Tuesday, ruling that the accused is a high risk to reoffend if he is released before his upcoming trial.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

No thanks

*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.00 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.00 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 07/09/2022 (1262 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A Brandon judge rejected a former Rolling River First Nation resident’s bail application Tuesday, ruling that the accused is a high risk to reoffend if he is released before his upcoming trial.

Cameron Bird appeared in a Brandon courtroom via video conference, after he was arrested late last year for allegedly assaulting his domestic partner. He is presumed innocent until proven guilty and the charges have not been tested in court.

Crown attorney Andrew Sieklicki strongly opposed Bird’s bail on Tuesday, telling Judge Donovan Dvorak that he was not confident the accused would follow court orders if released.

Sieklicki based his recommendation on Bird’s criminal record, which includes prior convictions for assaultive behaviour and another instance of intimate partner violence last summer.

The Crown attorney said the severity of the latest charges are also worth considering, since the victim in this case was beaten so badly that she suffered a brain hemorrhage.

Sieklicki told the court that Yellowhead RCMP were called to Bird’s residence in Rolling River First Nation on the morning of Dec. 20, 2021, after officers received reports from the accused’s family that he had “murdered” someone.

After entering the residence, police found the bathroom covered in dried blood, and Bird’s partner in the bedroom area.

“[The victim] was severely injured and had injuries to her lips, eyelids, part of her face seemed to be very swollen and bruised,” Sieklicki said. “She also had cuts to the left side of her nose with blood running from it as well as her mouth.”

Police located Bird in the bedroom area and placed him under arrest. Investigators later confirmed that the accused had dried blood on his knuckles when he was taken into custody.

While the victim was initially taken to the nearby Minnedosa Health Centre for treatment, she was later transported to the Health Sciences Centre in Winnipeg to properly treat a “brain bleed.”

Sieklicki supplied the court with crime scene photos Tuesday to highlight the seriousness of the victim’s injuries.

“I think the photographs speak for themselves,” the Crown attorney said.

“Mr. Bird is a danger … not only to society but more specifically to the complainant, his domestic partner who he was supposed to be in a position of protecting or at least treating kindly.”

Bird has since been banned from living in Rolling River First Nation following his arrest, according to Sieklicki.

While defence attorney Jesse Blackman admitted that the charges facing his client are serious, he argued in favour of granting his client bail while he waits for trial.

Blackman suggested that Bird reside in Winnipeg, where he must agree to conditions that include abiding by a curfew, a weapons ban and a promise to not contact the complainant under any circumstances.

“I certainly appreciate that this is a very violent allegation for an individual who has a criminal record for violence. But ultimately, the question before the court is: can Mr. Bird, with the plan provided, meet his onus and satisfy the court that detention is not necessary?” Blackman said. “It’s my respectful view that Mr. Bird can be considered a candidate for release.”

However, Dvorak ultimately denied the defence’s bail proposal, saying the “vicious” nature of the assault can’t be taken lightly.

“To me, the risk is just too high regardless of the [proposed] conditions, and I’m going to deny him his release under the secondary ground and order that he have no contact or communication with the complainant while he’s in custody,” Dvorak said.

Bird’s upcoming trial is scheduled in Minnedosa on Nov. 1.

» kdarbyson@brandonsun.com

» Twitter: @KyleDarbyson

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD MORE