Grim Acres ends long, spook-tacular run
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!
As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.
Now, more than ever, we need your support.
Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.
Subscribe Nowor call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.
Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.00 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.00 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/09/2022 (1245 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
NEAR KEMNAY — The team behind Grim Acres Scare Away Cancer used this past weekend to sell off their remaining inventory, having announced late last month that the popular Halloween attraction is ceasing operation.
This closeout yard sale took place outside the Kemnay-area home of Grim Acres owners Brian and Amber Sutherland, who have been putting together an ever-expanding Halloween haunt and maze on their property almost every year since 2010.
Throughout that time, the event had attracted attendees from all over the province, some of whom returned to the Grim Acres grounds Saturday and Sunday to give the couple’s massive collection of spooky props, costumes and decorations a proper home.
Amber and Brian Sutherland pose for a photo inside Grim Acres’ former Phobia/CarnEVIL attraction on Sunday, using the space to sell off their collection of Halloween props, costumes and decorations. The Sutherlands have run the Grim Acres Scare Away Cancer event in Westman since 2010 and announced late last month that the attraction won’t be returning this fall. (Kyle Darbyson/The Brandon Sun)
“We had people come from as far away as Notre Dame [de Lourdes], we had people from Winnipeg, we’ve had people from Deloraine,” Brian Sutherland told the Sun on Sunday afternoon.
“There’s been some people from professional haunts who were lining up at the doors as early as six o’clock.”
While reconnecting with past Grim Acres attendees and volunteers was a thrill for Sutherland, he also admitted that talking to them this past weekend really hammered home how much this event will be missed in Westman.
“It’s just been such a vital piece of people’s lives for the better part of the last decade,” he said. “So I feel a lot of guilt for what’s having to transpire, having to shut down.”
Sutherland previously told the Sun that, in the past 12 years, his team managed to raise more than $130,000 for the Canadian Cancer Society, even after having to shut down for a time due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, the financial and physical strain of putting together this attraction over time eventually crept up on the Sutherlands, forcing them to make the difficult decision to shut everything down.
“I am getting a little bit older and my body’s not quite what it used to be, so it has taken a physical as well as a mental toll on me,” Sutherland said on Sunday.
“Even with what happened over COVID, it put me in a lot of dark places and I had to accept that fact and just determine what I could do and could not do.”
While Grim Acres won’t be moving forward, Sutherland is still committed to organizing events in the future to help raise money for charity.
Outside of continuing his philanthropic work alongside the Superheroes Against Cancer Alliance group, Sutherland is also eager to put together smaller Halloween-themed events in Brandon, having already field-tested these get-togethers the year before COVID emerged.
Attendees browse the rows and rows of props and decorations that were up for sale at Grim Acres on Sunday. Organizers told the Sun that all the items that remain by the end of the closeout yard sale will be donated to other Halloween haunts that are being organized in the Westman region this fall. (Kyle Darbyson/The Brandon Sun)
“And that was great because a lot of people came out, they dressed up, they had a chance to wear their costumes,” he said. “So we’re going to do things like that again.”
While Sutherland is sad to see Grim Acres go, he remains optimistic about the future of large-scale, Halloween-themed events in Westman more broadly.
In fact, all the remaining inventory that was left over from this past weekend will be donated to local haunts that are trying to gain a foothold in the region, including a new event that’s supposed to debut in the Rivers area this fall.
“We’re really excited about that one because we see such great potential within Westman communities,” he said. “And Rivers, we think that could become the next Grim Acres.”
» kdarbyson@brandonsun.com
» Twitter: @KyleDarbyson