AMC delays grand chief candidates list
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!
As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.
Now, more than ever, we need your support.
Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.
Subscribe Nowor call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.
Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.00 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.00 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 18/10/2022 (1219 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
WINNIPEG — With an election looming to replace disgraced grand chief Arlen Dumas, the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs still hasn’t said who will be running for its top job.
The AMC, which represents 62 of the 63 First Nations in Manitoba, again announced it was delaying its final list of nominees — this time until Wednesday.
The election, which was triggered in August when a special general assembly stripped Dumas (who had been suspended) of his title after facing accusations of sexual assault and harassment, is set for Oct. 26 at the AMC annual meeting.
The election’s electoral officer said in September the list of candidates would be released last week, after all the candidates were verified. That date was then changed to Oct. 17.
On Monday, just before noon, AMC posted on social media: “In accordance with the AMC byelection rules, the electoral officer will release the list of candidates running for the role of grand chief today at 4 p.m. We appreciate your patience.”
At 4:41 p.m., AMC issued an email, saying: “In order to ensure procedural fairness and adhere to the AMC election rules, we will be making an announcement of our final list of candidates on Wednesday.”
The Free Press obtained a list of the candidates, however, which was being circulated by AMC members Monday.
It contained the names of five candidates: former O-Chi-Chak-Ko-Sipi First Nation chief Eugene Eastman; former Berens River chief George Kemp; former Pimicikamak Cree Nation chief Cathy Merrick; AMC First Nations family advocate Cora Morgan; and Little Saskatchewan council member Darrell Shorting.
After the latest delay, Sheila North, former grand chief of Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak and runner-up in 2018 for national chief of the Assembly of First Nations, confirmed her nomination with two endorsers and five supporters has been filed.
“I’m told they were extending it to Wednesday so everyone can get the proper names in,” North told the Free Press. “There was an issue with one of the nominators of some candidates, including me, but it’s rectified as of now. And I expect to see my name on the ballot.”
» Winnipeg Free Press